chapter 3

Elizabeth's POV:

Zack and I kept quiet the whole time. He was waiting for Dad and the boys; that's what he kept telling me. Sometimes he would look my way but look back with a sad expression. His eyes would go to my scars, and then he would look away quickly as if it was killing him.

Feeling sleepy, my head dropped slowly. Zack moved towards me swiftly so my head wouldn't drop.

"I got you," he says before letting me lay my head on his shoulder. I didn't want to make him feel dirty because I don't remember the last time I had a bath, but he didn't care.

Later, I heard shouting and loud footsteps, then people banging on the door. My eyes shot up with fear. Before I knew it, Zack stood up and locked the door, saying he didn't want the monsters coming in again. We found out that the monsters dropped their second key by mistake, so there was no way for them to get in.

The banging continued, but Zack stayed by me. He even brought out a little device and put it in my ears, saying it would block out the noise. Then he played soft songs from another device I didn't know.

My mind went to different places, listening to the song. After some time, the shouting and loud footsteps stopped. Zack turned to me and took the device from my ears, making me give him a sad look. I was enjoying the song.

"Don't worry, when we get home, you can listen to all the songs you want, okay?" he says while playing with my hair. I nod softly, liking how he took care of me.

"Come on, let's go. Dad and the boys are here," he mumbles, getting up on his feet. I looked at him, then back at my legs, then back at him again, hoping he would get the information.

His eyes went wide before saying, "You can't move your legs." Nodding softly, he made a soft sound before picking me up. My eyes were wide out of fear, thinking he would drop me because he was also injured on his legs.

But all he said was, "They made my sister go through all this pain. They're gonna pay," He, then gave my forehead a kiss, which made me melt inside.

"Okay, before we leave, I want you to hide your face in my neck. Don't look up until I tell you, okay?" he says slowly, while I nod my head, giving him a thumbs up.

He smiled and then started moving. I did what he asked me to do.