Dungeon Chapter 45 - To Obtain Sunlight

Start from the beginning

"Where did those come from?" Daniel asked.

"The Lanayru Desert was not originally under the protection of the Gerudo," Dabir answered. "It housed the dragon who protected Nayru's Fire. When the Hero of Skyloft came down to the Surface again, he traveled in time to reach this fire and encountered these robots. Before he left though, the founder of the Gerudo race left behind a blueprint for technology far more advanced that what existed in the past, which led to the development of the robots in a much earlier time than perhaps they were suited for. They went on to create their own colony in the desert in honor of Nayru and mine Timeshift Stones. That ore has long since vanished from Hyrule, so they were repurposed here, though they have not been given energy in a long time."

They reached the ground floor. Rain dripped in from outside the temple as they stopped. As they stopped, one of the robots floated down towards them. It was notably smaller than the rest.

Dabir bowed. "Thank you for helping us."

"We must defend the Spirit Sage, bzzrt," the robot answered mechanically. It looked over the rest of the party. "We identify two pieces of the Triforce as well, bzzrt, and must defend these for the Goddesses, bzzzrt."

Endeavor shifted uncomfortably. "How can you detect my shard? It is unknown to you. The Drex have never been present during your colonies."

"Bzzzrt, magic comes from you like from the green-clad one," the robot replied, "and you, bzzrt, hold the same presences of the beautiful, blue lady who first accompanied him."

Link didn't say anything. He was not going to admit to overhearing Endeavor's conversation with Colette about being the reincarnating form of Fi, the guardian of the Master Sword. Though his shift seemed to reveal enough. Endeavor glared at him for a moment, before answering, "You are correct. I am the reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia's servant, Fi, who has come back as every guide that has ever aided the Hero."

This information seemed irrelevant to the robot. It had already floated off back to the wall. Link lowered his gaze as Endeavor asked, "How did you know that?"

"I heard you tell Colette when we stopped at Lon Lon Ranch," Link answered, seeing no point in hiding the fact.

"Very well then. It is not how I wished you to come to know this, but it is how things must be," Endeavor replied.

"Wait a moment, if you've been every guide, that means...that means you've been a man!" Daniel concluded, looking shocked.

Endeavor said, "Yes, I have. What does it matter?"

"Oh, it matters to him," Parijan taunted."No it doesn't- I mean, it's a big thought, but it's not, not a big deal or anything," Daniel answered, trying to defend himself. "I mean, it's a big deal because of what you've done, but not in a bad way- I'm making my case worse."

"I am not yet aware what your case is," Endeavor replied. "Who I was was in a different life. For the present one though, I am me and I believe we need to more on."

"Oh, right..." Daniel said, trailing off.

"She meant with the dungeon, buddy," Parijan stated.

Link glanced at Dabir. The Gerudo was suppressing a grin himself, but he smiled broadly when he caught Link's confused glance. "The Drex is right, we need to proceed up to the roof to stop this terror from continuing."

Daniel looked a little dejected, but he nodded. Dabir exchanged a look around the group. "Very well then, let's restore this place to its former glory." Still dismounted, the party began walking towards the stairwell that led up to the great locked door. Link looked back at Epona. He failed to see how the mare could help in the coming battle on a roof, but he still wished he didn't have to leave her. He knew she was safe though behind the robotic wall, and even if the wall broke, Epona could defend herself, but still. He wished he didn't have to leave her.

Solemnly, he climbed the stairs with the rest of his companions. Alex floated along with them, a determined and excited expression on her face. Link wished he could have shared the ghost's conviction about the matter. It wasn't that he was afraid, but he was nervous about what they were about to find. Of course, caution has saved many an adventurer before.

A great door stood before them. The orange and red paint could faintly be made out in the light, though color in this place had long since weathered away. Gerudo symbols could be made out in the carvings, but it was the large golden lock in the shape of the Spirit Sage's symbol that stole the attention of the companions.

Dabir drew a key from his robes. It was gold as well, and had the Spirit Sage symbol carved in as well. The Sage slid the key in the lock and turned. The heavy lock fell from its place and rattled off the floor.

The door swung open in front of them. Dabir glanced back at them. "I'm sorry to ask you for any more protection, but...until I get that medallion back..."

"Don't worry about it," Daniel said. "We'll cover you."

Parijan nudged her brother. "And if nothing else, there are all those robots, right?"

"I suppose," Dabir answered, daring a laugh. He looked at Link. "Well then, after you, Hero."

Link glanced back once more, worried about Epona. He hoped the robotic walk would last long enough. Turning back, he stepped forward through the doorway...