4. The problem with red flags is that I'm attracted to them

Depuis le début

"I'm sure we can find a few people who had a score to settle with Zephyr. But, Aqua Breeze," he added, smirking when I scowled at the nickname, "you know you can't just waltz in like that, right?"

He gave me a pointed look, as if I wasn't aware what was at stake here. Of course I knew that if I came in contact with any of the Zodiacs, it was going to be game over for me. Except Blaze, apparently.

"You don't need to remind me," I said, rolling my eyes. "I'm not stupid. But since you're so brilliant, do you have any idea how to get around that?"

My heart raced as he approached me, our faces drawing closer together, far too close for me not to do something stupid like get distracted by his handsome face.

"In fact, I do," he continued. "I have some glamour serum."

"Glamour serum?" Other than Faes who had magic, I didn't know of anyone else who was able to glamour themselves in this realm.

"Your boss gave it to me."

Blaze's words caught me off guard. One, because I have no clue that Zephyr was in possession of something like that, and two, because I couldn't imagine why he would have given it to Blaze.

"Don't look so shocked, dimples—we all have secrets." His smug expression and the mischief twinkling in his eyes rooted me to the spot in a hypnotic state, which rubbed me the wrong way. This man was way too self-assured and incredibly irritating, and I wanted to wipe the smirk off his alluringly kissable face.

Crap, I meant punchable. Definitely punchable. There was no way I would ever want to kiss him.

"Why would Zephyr give you something like that?" Suspicion clawed its way up my spine at the realisation that he could be lying. A darker premise lurked beneath my thoughts. "Unless you took it from him."

My elemental magic began to stir as my anger boiled. I was such an idiot—I thought he chose to believe me, but what if it was because he already knew who the killer was?

"How do I know you didn't kill him?"

Rage and accusations dripped from my words, my powers crackling as I raised my hands up, ready to unleash on him whatever magic I had, even if I was no match for his abilities. Yet, my elements remained dormant, weakly flickering at my command, almost like they were lulled by his fire power.

"Easy there," he muttered, as his grip closed around my wrists, dissolving my magical energy. What the hell?

"How did you do that?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper as I faced the horrifying fact that he might have been the killer I was looking for.

"I'm not quite sure. Our elemental powers can't usually be used against other Zodiacs. But yours just seemed to obey me," he explained.

My mind raced with questions, but this was the least of my worries, if he was indeed the killer. I tried to escape his grip, but instead I ended up with my back pressed against him as he outmanoeuvred me, my body locked in a vice-like embrace as he held me in place..

"I didn't kill him," he said calmly, his breath tickling my ear and sending shivers down my spine. "And I'm willing to help you find the real murderer, but I will need your help with something else."

I was torn between wanting to trust him and keeping my guard up. "What?"

I could feel his heart pounding against my back and I had to concentrate hard to keep my emotions in check. Who was he really? What did he know? What other secrets was he hiding? I wanted to know, and yet I didn't.

"I can't tell you yet. But I will when the time is right."

He spun me around and I found myself facing him again. I stepped back when he let go of my wrists, his intense gaze still locked on me. It was like I was standing on the edge of a cliff, ready to take a leap of faith, but fear of the unknown held me back.