Chapter 5: The buried folder

"Good morning sister.", Estonia whispers to me before she gets up. I also wish her: "Good morning to you too, big sister." Then we leave the room and sit down in the main room. "You look like you didn't sleep that well.", she says. "You're right, I had two dreams and both times I had nightmares.", I tell her, "That's exactly why I hardly sleep." She wraps one of her arms around my shoulders before asking me: "Since when do you have nightmares?" I have to think about it myself. It was the second winter we barely had food and my little brother refused his food because he saw how thin I had gotten... right?...

Was it maybe before we ran out of food the first winter because we didn't know where to get the food?... To be honest I don't remember. "I'm sorry, but I don't know how long it's been like this.", I answer her. She says: "It's okay." I just remembered that yesterday she said she was going. I ask her: "Could you please not just go and stay with us?" "Of course, because I honestly don't want to leave you two. You're part of my family and I can't get away from you, plus I have to protect you because I'm the oldest of us.", she giggles and hugs me. I hug her back.

I'm so glad she's really here, but she can forget she's protecting us, I'm the one protecting us here! "I don't advise you to go outside because there are people looking for us.", I tell her after we've let go. "Thanks for letting me know!", she thanks me before asking, "How did you hurt your arm?" "I don't know, but it's not bad." I try to calm her down. She said with concern: "Looks like a big injury to me." "It looks big, but trust me, it's nothing.", I say. "Please let me see it!", she begs me. It's nice, but no.

"No, it's not as bad as it looks and I've taken care of it.", I don't give in. She's like: "As you wish... but don't you want me to take a tiny peek at it?" I make it clear to her: "No, thanks! It's kind of you, but I refuse." Then she remains silent. I remember her paper or whatever it was from before: "What was that paper from before?" "A photo of me and my family, we took this photo when I was thirteen.", says Estonia, taking the photo out of her pocket. In the black and white picture, papa, she, Latvia, Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan is in the arms of a Countryhuman wearing a hat, but the hat means I can't see her face very well.

There are four other larger teenage Countryhumans standing around, it's hard to tell who they are from the flags, but I recognize Georgia. I want to go to Mom and Dad and all my other siblings. How incredibly much I miss them! I give my half sister her photo back. After she takes it, I remember something: "I forgot something outside and I'll get it so we look more hidden." "Please be careful... or just tell me what to do and I go out and do it.", she offers me. I answer her: "No, thank you, but thank you very much for the offer!", I say before I carefully crawl outside.

I look around, fortunately nobody is here. "Sister!", I hear from my little brother, who comes out of our hiding spot. "Shhh! Please be quiet, there are hunters here.", I whisper to him, "What's going on?" I bend down to him. He says: "I want to come with you to the spot with moss. I forgot the beautiful stone there the last time." "Couldn't you come with me some other time?", I ask him so that he will be safe. "No, I want to come with you now, I will also promise to help you carry the moss.", he says. "Fine, but you stay as close to me as you can. Promise?" "I promise!", comes from him. Then we go after he covers the hiding place.

Moss is the best to hide our hiding place unfortunately we always have to get it fresh so that it looks the most real, which is very annoying. We cautiously step deeper into the forest. At some point I find a spot that has been torn open or something has been shoveled in with earth. I'm curious so I climb the tree with my little brother clinging to me. "You stay here and I'll see what's buried there.", I whisper to him. Then I sneak down and to the spot. I push the dirt off the spot and find a folder. Why is there a folder buried here?

I take it in my hands and wipe the dirt off it with one hand. "The Execution of Third Reich and Soviet Union" read on it. Mama mentioned something about an assassination in his book. is that that? Or are execution and assassination different? I'll take it with me and have a look at it in our hideout. I dig up the hole again and climb the tree where I hid my little brother. "You take this folder.", I command him. He says: "I'll do it!" I smile at him and hand him the folder before he clings to me and I climb down the tree with him.