➠ 38 - KOL

✧

WARM MORNINGS

The sound of knocking wakes me up and causes me to jolt up

"Honey, are you up yet? It's time to go to school." I hear my mom's soft voice from the other side of my door.

"Yeah, going." I say as I rub my face.

I put on a random pair of shorts and shirt right before opening the door.

"Hey mom." I say once I open the door.

She smiles at me and extends her hand out to me. "For you." She motions to the brown paper bag.

"What's this?" I ask as I take the bag from her.

I look inside the bag and see a white box. Huh?

"A gift for the first day of school." She says with a smile.

"Mom." I sigh. "I said I was going to buy my own phone."

The fact that my mom still tries to spend money on me gives me mixed emotions.

Like I know it comes from the heart, but I don't want her spending money on me when she could be spending it on herself.

"Yes, but that would take you a few days." She further explains to me as I take the brand-new phone from the box. "And I need to talk to you at all times to know where you are."

I understand why she gave me the phone now. She's afraid of my stepdad cornering me somewhere and her not having a clue of what's going on.

"But an apple phone?" I say as I turn it on.

"Yup." She nods. "You remember how much your dad loved his apple products." She says with a laugh.

Yeah, I remember dad and the fact that he loved all things apples. Especially since he loved to facetime with me and my mom while he was working.

"Okay, now hurry. I have work and you have school to get to." My mom says which causes me to snap out of my thoughts. "Please do well this year. Adult school is two cities away and I really don't like the sound of you being that far from me." She says which causes me to laugh.