➠ 15 - KOL

✧

THE LEGO CHAIN

It's Christmas yet it doesn't feel like Christmas

I mean sure it's freezing cold, there's snow outside and I ate tamales thanks to Violet and her family, but it still doesn't feel like Christmas. I feel out of place here regardless of how welcoming Violet's family has been to me.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but being here makes me feel many levels of jealousy. Violet has a mom, a dad, two brothers and lives in a big house. She always seems to dress to impress since her parents have the privileged of buying her things she likes, and she always has a big plate of food served to her by the end of the night. I wish I didn't know how it's like to go hungry. I on the other hand only have my mom and we live in an apartment in which my mother struggles to pay for. I also have seen my mom go hungry in order to feed me.

The bitter jealousy is making me feel terrible.

"So, Kol." I instantly get snapped out of my thoughts. "It's Kol, right?"

I look at Violet's mom and smile. "Yes ma'am, it is."

"I like your name, it's really unique." She stabs at her food. "I gave my five kids extremely basic names; I wish I would've thought outside the box like your mom."

I pause and count amongst her kids.

One, Violet. Two, Christian. Three, Dean. That makes three, not five. Where did she get five from?

Violet laughs. "Momma, I think you meant to say three. Not five."

"Oh my, yes. I don't know why I said I had five kids." She looks over at Violet's dad.

Violet's dad looks from his plate of food straight to his wife then back down at his plate of food. At the same time Dean and Christian seem to whisper something to each other. Weird.

Violet's mom finally turns back to me. "I meant to say that amongst the five of us as a family. We all have pretty basic names and I wish I would've thought outside the box."