Chapter 45: A Writer

A/N: 28.10.2023

Q/A: What time do you read/write on Wattpad? I normally read early in the morning when I wake up, or at night before I go to sleep. As for writing, whenever I have the free time x)

Please don't forget to leave a vote before reading the chapter!! Thank you xoxo

✏✏✏

The sun began to set, and everyone returned to the shore for dinner. While I ate at my table, I thought about what happened earlier. Everything began to make sense. Ethan was on the shore by himself because everyone else was avoiding him. Camilia must have contacted him without knowing what he had done.

"Do we have any more cups?" someone asked.

"Yes, in my car," I replied, getting up.

"Oh, don't trouble yourself!"

"It's fine; I'll be right back."

"I'll go with you," Oliver suggested, and I gave him a curious look, so he said, "The paper cups might be heavy."

I narrowed my eyes at him. He really wasn't trying, was he?

"I'm sure Daniel can handle a few paper cups," one of his friends said.

"This morning he said his waist hurt."

Everyone turned toward me in surprise. "What happened?"

"Oh, we-"

"I strained my back," I blurted in a nervous fit of laughter, cutting Oliver off before he could say any more. "But I'm okay now. My back feels great!" Everyone looked unconvinced, but I grabbed Oliver before they could ask me questions. I needed to take him with me. Who knew what he would say? "Let's go Oliver."

I pulled him away and lowered my voice to a hush.

"You're impossible," I hissed.

"You love me."

I know. But I simply rolled my eyes with a smile, but then I remembered what happened with Ethan.

"Sorry, I didn't know Ethan would be here," I murmured, suddenly getting goosebumps. Ethan seemed like a completely normal person. I would have never thought that he was the one who had tried to sabotage Oliver's training session. "We sent an invitation to everyone in your unit, and I guess Ethan must have received one too."

"It's not your fault," Oliver murmured, reaching out to hold my hand. I quickly dodged it.

"Your friends can still see us."

"You aren't planning on hiding our relationship forever, are you?"

"No..."

"I know you're afraid that people will judge us and that it'll affect our careers, but we're going to have to do our grand coming out at some point," Oliver chuckled. "I don't even want to call it a coming out. I just want to be us, the way we are whenever we're alone, unafraid of what others think or say. I'm not embarrassed to love a man, just as I'm not embarrassed to love you."

My eyes widened in surprise.

"I'm a writer, but I'm also many other things," he continued.

"What else are you?"

He smiled widely as if he had waited for me to ask him.

"I'm Oliver," he said proudly. "A man who likes pink and drinks black coffee, a devout worshiper of cats and donuts, and who likes to wear pajamas more than anything. I can be stubborn sometimes, a little impatient, grouchy even, but despite my occasionally strange behaviors and unorthodox ways, I found someone who likes me the way I am."

He paused with a shy smile, looking into my eyes.

"If I was afraid of what others thought, I would have never become a writer. It was a big risk, but I don't regret choosing this path, and I know I won't regret choosing you," he said, intertwining our fingers. "Whatever happens will happen. Even if I don't know what that is, I know I won't regret choosing us."

I let out a soft groan, pressing my forehead against his chest.

"This is unfair. How am I supposed to not fall for you when you say words like that?" I mumbled. I raised my gaze, looking into Oliver's deep blue eyes. "I'm not as poetic or as good with my words as you are, but I hope this will be enough." I rested my hands on his face and pulled him close.

"I love you, Oliver Carlson."

His eyes widened, and before I knew it, he kissed me. He pulled away and had the widest smile on his handsome face.

"Ditto."

My jaw dropped, and I slapped his arm. "Did you just say ditto after I-"

Oliver tilted his head back and burst into laughter. His nice laugh filled the air, and my cheeks grew warm.

"I'm kidding," he said, the corner of his eyes wrinkling. He pulled me closer and whispered in the softest tone, "I love you, too."

Someone cleared their voice before he could kiss me again and I sprung out of Oliver's arms. I hadn't noticed that someone had followed us. Camilia stood across from us, her arms crossed over her chest. The blood in my face drained down my neck. Did she see everything? Even worse, did she hear what we had said?

I flinched when she broke the silence with a sigh. I waited for her disapproval and expected the worst.

"This is going to require a lot of PR," she mumbled, but she didn't sound upset. She was actually looking at us with a small smile, and I suddenly had the feelings that she had known for a while.

"When did you find out?" Oliver asked calmly, and Camilia smirked.

"It wasn't that hard, considering you didn't even try to hide it."

"You aren't mad?" I asked.

"Why would I be? We work together on a professional level. What happens in your private lives doesn't concern me," she replied factually. "But it'll surely impact your professional life, so we'll have to do lots of PR and prepare for the interviews and articles. But to answer your question, no, I'm not upset."

Something about her answer made me feel hopeful. Oliver gently squeezed me, and I realized we were still holding hands. I looked up at him and smiled without pulling away.

✏✏✏

Q/A: Time/date/place you finished this book?

Thank you for joining Daniel and Oliver on their unforgettable journey in "The Writer's Assistant"! Writing this story, especially the steamy scenes (👀), was an absolute blast. Oliver was a unique character for me to write, but I had a lot of fun bringing him to life.

I'm thrilled that both Daniel and Oliver received so much love and support from readers like you. Your enthusiasm made this experience truly special.

 While this may be the final chapter of "The Writer's Assistant," there's still more to explore in the extended version with an alternative ending. The following bonus chapters offer a deeper dive into the world of Daniel and Oliver, with added angst, drama, and of course, heated smut 🔥🏳️‍🌈

The extended version is entirely optional. Whether you choose to dive into the exclusive chapters or not, I'm grateful for your support and readership.

Thank you once again for being a part of this journey. I can't wait to see you in the next book!