SEVEN

Regulus' car is parked outside at exactly twelve and James feels his heart sink a little. He had ignored Regulus' text, letting him know that he would leave to collect him in fifteen minutes, twenty minutes prior.

James had additionally spent the prior evening in a large deal of inner, self inflicted turmoil. His mind had ran wild with the idea that Regulus hadn't even told his friends about their baby. Thoughts of James being not sophisticated enough, maybe not even educated enough, to swim within Regulus' circle had taunted him and it had all ended with James feeling rather insecure and angry, regarding Regulus.

James has never really been that insecure. He's always had a steady support system, given his parents. He's always been very in tune with himself, very collected and very okay with who he is. But now? Now that Regulus hadn't bothered to share the baby news? Now James just feels like a secret, as if he is some dirty mistress, as if Regulus is the touring rockstar; using sex as a form of drug.

James has always been very comfortable, very content, with who he is. So why is it that Regulus Black, with his ties, and converse, and stormy eyes, has made him feel so uncomfortable with himself? So insecure?

Frustration burns him still as he reaches for the door handle of the car, his mind swimming with thoughts of how maybe he isn't all that to talk about if Regulus, the bloody writer, won't even mention him.

Regulus is on his phone when James opens the passenger seat. "I have to go, I'll talk to you in a bit, Ev," He places his phone into his pocket. "Hi," He greets.

"Hey," James replies.

"How're you feeling?"

"Little nauseous. How are you doing? You nervous, Regulus?"

Regulus chuckles a little at this. "Extremely," He nods.

"You don't have anything to worry about, you know? My parents aren't expecting you to, like, marry me or anything," James half snorts. He can't even imagine a universe that exists where he and Regulus would ever call it a day and settle down together; they can barely even manage to get through James' first trimester as it is.

"I know, I know," Regulus hums as he drives, his hands firmly on the steering wheel. "I just don't want to make a horrible first impression. First impressions usually aren't my forte," He glances to James. "As you've probably already figured out,"

James knows immediately what it is that Regulus is referencing and he swallows. "Regulus, um, about the other day in the café-"

Regulus cuts him off, shaking his head. "I understand if you're peeved off that I didn't tell Evan about the baby," He says quickly. "I didn't mean any offence, James-"

"No, I...I understand, you're a private person," James brushes him off, echoing Sirius' words. "Sirius already mentioned that," He dumbfounds, gazing out the window. "But I do think that having a baby with me is something you don't seem very optimistic about, and...and, well, I won't deny that you not telling your mates touched a nerve with me," He confesses.

Maybe it is all those new, bumbling hormones that force James to admit just how unsettled and generally bothered he was that Regulus hadn't told his best friends.

After all, James had been sitting with those thoughts all night. Perhaps Regulus deserves some kind of grief right now.

"Alright. I deserve that, don't I?" Regulus responds calmly. Finally something that they can both agree on.

Regulus shakes his head again. "James, I work with a lot of people," He says. "Some of them don't always have the best interest of others in their hearts, some of them just want to make a quick buck and sell a story," Regulus' voice is quiet.