Chapter 40

Kevin wanted to swing her into his arms and never let her go, tip her back on the sofa they were sitting on and kiss her senseless. If it meant what he thought it meant, he was about to be the happiest man on the planet and his heart was hammering his chest, staring at her.

The tips of her ears were pink, and she took in a very heavy breath as she looked away from him and the screen.

"Well then, I see how it is," his mother said from across the room and Sharla raised one shoulder up away from the screen, likely anticipating more awful words from his mother dismissing her statement.

"Shar," he murmured. "Do you mean it?"

"Of course I mean it, dummy!" she snapped, twisting her hands together. His mother was looming large, her lips twisted in displeasure, and right then and there, he didn't give a shit.

"Mother, give us a moment." he tapped the mute button and turned off the camera.

"Tell me again," he murmured, shifting over so he was right beside her. She was looking anywhere but at him, and he grabbed her chin, lifting it. Tears spilled from her eyes the moment she looked up, and her lip was trembling. "Kevin, I—"

"Oh darling, no, don't cry," he said. "That was incredibly stressful and she put you on the spot. I just did as well. That isn't fair."

"No, it wasn't," she said. "She's so awful; I can't imagine what you've had to go through."

"Ah, well she's not always been this intolerant. This past year and a bit has been quite a change in her. I think Dad dying meant she lost her North Star, if it were. Losing someone you love can be... Altering."

"She's gone from basic bitch to unmitigated bitch then?" Sharla bit out. "Sorry, that was—"

"I think she expected the same kind of devotion to the title that Dad had, when I took over," Kevin said, cutting her off. He let it slide. Sharla could be blunt, and he knew it had no malice behind it. His mother had been awful to her, to the point of being cruel. It wasn't entirely out of line.

"Doesn't excuse how terribly she treats people," Sharla muttered. "Diana never coming home to visit is because your mother browbeats her the same way she does you, I bet."

Kevin hmmed. It was the reason Diana stayed away after their father had died. She'd told him once "You deal with her, I don't need that drama in my life". He didn't either, but he was the head of the family and by default, it was his problem.

"Some of how she reacted is my own inattentiveness, perhaps. Since last year, I've kept her more at arm's length. Our relationship took a hit after she called me home from Italy for nothing."

"I can't imagine why," Sharla said drily, then sighed. "She doesn't see you. She doesn't care about you, just what she wants you to be."

"And what do you see?" he asked, wanting to revert the conversation back to them. They could unpack his mother's awful behaviour later. She settled up against him, her hands floating to rest on his chest. No matter how many times she did that, it always sent a shock of energy through him and he let out a tight groan as the heat from her palms seeped through the fabric. He leaned in, lips brushing hers. He couldn't help it, she was his in that moment, her admission to his mother all the confirmation he needed, but he still had to know.

"I see you, Kevin. I always have, even if I've pushed you away," she murmured.

His nerves stood on end through his body with her words, more confirmation that perhaps that giant wall was crumbling. It was hope, he realised. Hope there was a chance for them.

"Let me in, then. I can't live without you another moment," he breathed. He wouldn't let her slip away a third time because he knew if she did, it would be for good.