Chapter 30

The sun was strong, and it was unusually warm for November in France, so Sharla decided they were breakfasting in style out beside the ridiculously large pool. The water steaming gently and the rustle of the potted palms fanning the perimeter had beckoned when she peered outside. The staff were all too eager to set them a table with fruit, coffee, and various breakfast patisserie when she'd asked.

Her best friend was slumped on her chair under the oblong patio umbrella, sipping at her coffee, her sunglasses on, as she leaned back and groaned. "Why did we drink so much last night?"

"Because we're in France, and we're at a wine festival?" Sharla answered, biting into a strawberry that was so juicy it dribbled down her chin. "Are you that hung over?" she asked as she grabbed for a napkin.

Gretchen put the back of her hand on her forehead and sighed dramatically, then giggled. "Maybe? More jet-lagged than hung over and slightly puffy from all the damned baguette they were serving at the thing last night. Honestly, I have no idea how I am going to fit into the dress I bought for the Winemaker's Association dinner tonight. That cheese dip, what did they call it? cervelle de canut or something, it was incredible."

Sharla snorted a laugh. "Your dress is practical and stretchy. I was the idiot who brought a structured, silk evening gown that shows every damned roll."

"Silk?" Gretchen asked, sitting up. "Going all bougie on me now? What happened to 'flannel is king' Sharla? Got yourself a Euro job and now you're all fancy lamé and bling?"

"Says the woman dating a multi-millionaire ball player," Sharla threw a piece of melon from the plate beside her at Gretchen, who squealed and put her hands up as it bounced off her left breast. Gretchen threw it back, and they were both in stitches when Kevin stepped out the back door wearing nothing but his swimsuit.

Gretchen lowered her sunglasses and blinked, and turned to Sharla with a mouthed oh my God. Sharla's cheeks burst into flame, looking anywhere but at Kevin because she was right. Oh my God indeed. His muscles and fitness were on full display, dammit.

He strode across the deck, a smile on his face as he spotted them, goggles dangling from one hand, the other clenching a towel. Reaching their side of the pool, he tossed his towel down on a lounge chair, then leaned right over Sharla to snag a piece of fruit from the tray, eyes darting to hers as he did with a rumbled 'morning', that stupid quirked eyebrow indicating he'd done it on purpose. With that, he retreated poolside as he chewed. Sharla swore he deliberately snapped one side of his Speedo briefs as he adjusted it, his lopsided, charming grin widening as her lips twisted. The tight fabric left nothing to the imagination, riding low, outlining his bulge perfectly. Then there were his stupid abs, on full display.

Abs she'd enjoyed thoroughly only three nights ago, playing her fingers over their flexed ridges while he—

"You look relaxed, ladies. Mind if I swim a few laps?" he said, and hopped in, levering his goggles into place, his shoulders bunching and flexing as he raised his arms over his head to tighten them. With another megawatt smile directed at both of them, Gretchen made a tiny, strangled noise as he stroked out into the water.

"Are you frigging kidding me? Shar... That is what you are having a hard time saying yes to? I mean I did always think he was handsome but daaaamn."

"It's complicated, Gretch," she snapped back, crushing the edge of her imitation silk robe with the paisley trim into a ball, annoyed at her friend's observations. She let it go and smoothed out the blue, green and red pattern across the hem. Irritated, she reached for another piece of fruit, chewing it angrily.

"I get complicated, I'm teasing you. Josh looks like that and I had misgivings, if you remember. It isn't just about the abs and generous endowment," Gretchen replied, widening out her hands and waving them, one eyebrow quirked. "I mean, he's a darling, he's got money, a title, houses, and cars... a big—"