The boy scoffed, playing with a strand of his hair. No one knew why she was here. Especially himself. Of all places, he thought she'd stay back in Goiky, basking in the warm glow of the sun. If he had known she'd venture back out to Yoyle Land...

Nothing would have stopped it. The challenge would have continued and they would get there. It was inevitable. But now he was eating his consequences of helping her. It wasn't fair. The redhead had done nothing wrong, and he was what? Suffering the girl's consequences because she couldn't show her face?

Truthfully, Firey knew Leafy being in his place would resolve nothing. He wouldn't bear to see her there.

He felt sick at the thought. Would he have to watch over her as well? Seeing how everyone would treat her as cold as he was being treated? With a shake of his head, he shook the image away.

Nope. It hurt him to even imagine it. He'd have to be Coiny in that scenario. Smuggling items in for her and trying to make small talk.
He silently thanked Coiny for everything he'd done for him. It still perplexed him why the copper-haired boy did so much for him, but he didn't dare ask. He had already said too much with little thought. A mistake that could have cost him his life.

He could feel his thoughts getting lost in the grogginess of his head. His eyes were half-lidded, ready to call it a night, but he sank his nails into the flesh of his hand, immediately recoiling into alertness.

He didn't hate her. Had things been different then... well, maybe he wouldn't have gotten stuck. And if he was honest, he didn't know what they would even do if she came around. Coiny never got around to speaking about it, nor did anyone. Everyone skipped the subject when they talked to him.

Firey could only imagine the worst-case scenario, which would be killing her again; never recovering her again. It felt excessive, all for an island that wasn't even theirs. What say did they even have?

The kid rolled his eyes, leaning his head against the cold iron bars. His head vaguely recalled that day. He'd convinced himself of its inexistence as of recently. The only thing he could remember was whenever he spoke to the green-haired girl. Especially after GB came to interrogate him again—something about Leafy stealing from the pantry.

He again said the same words. Although he wasn't lying when he said he knew nothing about her ransacking the pantry. But this time around, the words felt heavy with honesty. As if he was losing a sense of what he knew. Regardless of whether he wanted it, he could feel it in his gut. As if the wind was taking away the grime piling up on his sweater.
Had everything of that dreaded day happened or was he just going insane from being stuck at such a high altitude?

Hell, had he even actually known her? Was he eating up the stories he'd heard because his mind had nothing to do in such a solitary place?
The gust of wind blew by him, waking him up from his thoughts momentarily.

The way days rolled by without him partaking with others was chipping away at him blindly. All he now had of himself was a name and the memory—if it even was a memory—of that day. The day he ruined everything. Or was it? After all, she could have waited to have a chat; to speak about it calmly. Yet she didn't.

So pressed by her exclusion, she had to go and steal it for herself. And worse, she had to lose it. It was just his luck; his absolute, terrible luck.
He looked back at the horizon, the once-abundant smoke dying down. The sky was lighter, clouds more visible than it was an hour ago. Firey sighed heavily as he thought to himself about his old friend.

He just wanted to be safe. It was all he had wanted, striving for that sense of security that never came. Meticulously avoiding eggshells since the crash of the hang glider, the guy had been trying to sweep his interactions with her under the rug.

But it seemed as if someone knew he was lying. How was beyond his idea, even if they most likely brought it up during one of the court days. Truthfully, he stopped paying attention halfway through it all, realizing that no one was in his favor.

He never even saw the anonymous poll results, knowing all too well his fate was sealed when the entire trial started.

With a yawn, he closed his eyes for good. He couldn't stay up, even if he wanted to. His head was running with little energy, feeling like an out-of-control Ferris wheel. It was painful.

Firey hoped he could make it up one day. If he had truly known her, he could hopefully make amends and hang out like they once had. If not, he wouldn't know what to do. Especially after being caged for so long, he wouldn't know if all his efforts had been worth it.

If they had never met, it would've all been for nothing. All the times he said "I don't know her" would have been right. But the safety of it never arrived. It was all safety that never stuck.

Even if those words had saved him from an uncertain death, he was losing himself.

A/N: Okay so I've been enjoying writing in a Third Person Perspective. It's too much fun.

BUT I really hope this chapter gets across the message I want to say cause damn! As much as I love—and would die for—Leafy, it sometimes ticks me off to see people dog pile on Firey like he wasn't technically being tortured. 😭

Regardless, I have half of the next chapter written, so it should be out by this coming weekend. :]  I hope you enjoyed it!!!