Chapter 54: Tourney of the Dragon, the Falcon and the Phoenix

"Men have pride that only violence can resolve

"Men have pride that only violence can resolve."

The heat inside of the large tent was nearly unbearable. Ladies in waiting fanned Alaesys as they continued to dress her, sun beams peeking through the thick red fabric of the tent. She was bickering about how much easier it would have been to prepare inside the castle walls but it fell on deaf ears. Rhaenyra assisted her selection of jewelry. Baela and Rhaena were giggling about the fine selection of jewels that Aemond had hand picked for his wife.

Even Rhaenyra commented on the price that a specific Ruby necklace must have costed. When Alaesys looked down at the red jewel around her throat in the mirror, her heart swooned. They both knew that money was if no issue, but the gift itself was a way of reminding Alaesys how much and how far her husband would go for her.

The dress Alaesys had chosen for herself was of the finest dyed silk she ever had the pleasure of touching. So soon after birth, she still did not feel entirely confident in her body. She was still healing, and right clothing was forbidden. The gown was long and drug against the ground with every step she took. A loose corset framed her waist and sat above her hips. A golden chain wrapped around from should to shoulder. Two strands of satin wrapped up around her neck and fell down her back in almost a cape-like fashion.

 Two strands of satin wrapped up around her neck and fell down her back in almost a cape-like fashion

It was Alicent who had chosen the earrings she was to wear. They were golden and in the shape of Gilly-flowers, the very same plant Aemond had planted for her many moons ago. They dangled in her fingers before she slipped them on and took one last look at herself in the mirror provided.

"I feel as if I could vomit." She groaned. Her belly was full of all sorts of nerves. Her husband, her brother-in-law, her dear friend and her father were all competing in this tourney. She had begged Aemond not to join, saying he should just sit back and enjoy the festivities. But he did not listen to her, saying that he must honor his children by winning the competition himself.

Rhaenyra came behind her daughter and rested her chin on her shoulder. They both gazed into the mirror and Alaesys dropped her shoulders with a deep sigh. "Tell me it will be okay..." she begged her mother. Rhaenyra smiled softly and rubbed her daughters tense arms.