Ch. 12: Rage That Blinds Me

I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting?' with 'It is here in my heart and mind and memories

I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting?' with 'It is here in my heart and mind and memories.'"

When consciousness finally returned to Alaesys, she was back in her bed. It was silent besides the chirping of birds from the window. I'm her fingers, was the cold necklace from her father. The memories of what had happened flooded her brain, and she began to cry. It was not a soft, quiet cry like she would do back in King's Landing, it was a loud, mourning cry.

It had been three weeks since the death of her father. Every morning was the same. She felt as thought this pain would last forever. Mostly, the Maester's kept her full with herbs and such to help her pain and agony.

The door to the bedroom bursted open and Rhaenerya came running inside with open arms. She pulled her daughter up into her arms and pushed her damp hair away from her warm face.

"Bring him back mother. Please bring him back." Alaesys held her mothers arm close, her body continued to shake with ragged breaths. Rhaenerya hushed her harsh cries and rocked the girl as she did when she was an infant.

"He would not want you to mourn him in such a way. You know he's smiling down at his children as we speak." Rhaenerya kissed Ally's head and rubbed her back. She wiped her own tears away as she comforted her distraught daughter. Alaesys looked at the necklace in her fingers, the little square metal prongs were heated with the warmth of her hand.

Jacerys and Lucerys came into the room. Both boys had stayed in their mother's room last night to give Alaesys space. Jacerys was the first to climb into the bed and silently put his arms around his sister, resting his cheek on her back. Lucerys placed himself in Alaesys lap and allowed his sister to squeeze him so tight he felt his eyes might pop from their sockets.

What remained of their little family, embraced one another.

There was a light rap from the doorway, and Baela and Rhaena were standing there with Daemon. Rhanerya opened her arms and the two girls came running to her. Baela grasped Alaesys hand and put her face into Ally's hair, whispering kind words to her cousin. Daemon leaned in the doorway and watched them. He had seen war and battle, but nothing compared to the guilt and pain he witnessed before him.

Rhaenerya lifted her head and gazed down at the children surrounding her. As a young girl, the idea of a family never appealed to her, now, her entire world was her family. "Children, I need you to listen to me alright?" The children slowly dispersed from the hug. The boys and twins sat on the opposite bed and Daemon came to sit beside Rhanerya and Alaesys. He patted the girls leg and looked at Rhaenerya.

They shared a moment of silence before Rhaenerya spoke again, "In retaliation of the tragedy that has overcome us, I believe we have to take action." Daemon reached over Alaesys and took her hand in his. Ally sat up from the comfort of her mother and looked at their conjoined hands.