Ch. 16: Recconecting the Pieces

"You can love someone so much

"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

So much had changed since Alaesys was last in the castle. Most of the Targaryen symbolism had been replaced by imagery of religious likes. Daemon made an off-hand comment behind her as to which Viserys just coughed at.

"Aemond is waiting in the Gardens. You two should spend some quality time together." Alicent spoke the words but it seems forced, rehearsed even. "The royal court and Daemon need to have a meeting on marriage terms. We will round you up for dinner." Alaesys took a step towards the queen as she turned.

"My Lady, could we push the meeting back? I'd like to be present for discussion of my own marriage." Alaesys tried not to let a slip of rudeness through. Alicent looked to the King and there was almost a gleam of worry.

"Of course, Princess, we can push the meeting until after dinner. Although some of us are older and prefer sleep." Alicent looked to her dear husband who seemed to not even hear what she said. Alaesys had to bite back a rude response and just gave a small smile and bow. As the rest of the family returned to their quarters, Daemon came behind his daughter and gently grabbed her arm, leaning down beside her ears.

"I will be watching from afar. Don't do anything I wouldn't do." Alaesys snorted at this. Daemon smirked and kissed the top of her head.

"So do everything, endanger lives, kill people and fuck whores?" Alaesys looked up to Daemon who pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Precisely ." Daemon put his hands on her shoulders and stared into her eyes. He has seen so much of Rhaenerya in his daughter. She had her beauty but she also had her wit. She was so much stronger than she gave herself credit for. Daemon touched the necklace from around her neck and his belly burned with jealousy.

Jealousy that he may never live up to the relationship Laenor and Ally had. But he would die trying.

"Go, have fun." And Alaesys went off to do just that. The winding halls of the castle seemed so foreign to her now. Nothing had physically changed but the feeling was much darker, much more lonely. She wished to hear her brother run through the halls, clashing wooden swords and chasing after their uncles.

Now it seemed that a true war was much more likely.

The gardens had always been one of Alaesys favorite places to play hide and seek with her brothers. There was a time where she hid so long that Laenor had sent guards to find her and she wasn't allowed to leave her quarters for a week afterwards. The last time she was here, her family was whole.

Alaesys shook the upsetting thoughts from her head. She scaled the small stairs that lead down to the rose garden. They were in full bloom this time of year. She grabbed the front of her dress and leaned forward to smell one of the freshly bloomed flowers. Her hair peeled on the back of her neck and she half expected Aemond to be standing there.