Ch. 5: A Farewell

"May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back

"May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields."

Lucerys couldn't stop crying. He had his sisters skirts in both hands as she tried her best to comfort him. Jacerys wiped his eyes with the back of his hand as he watched Ser Harwin disappear around the hallways. Rhaenyra went out to comfort her eldest son as Ally knelt down to her brothers height.

"It will be alright Luke. We can still send letters everyday. We can plan a trip to go see him as well!" Alaesys knew her words and promises were both empty but she would do anything to stop the child from crying. She stood and pulled him into a hug and he clung to her hip.

Rhaenerya ushered Jace into the room and Alaesys pulled the boy in for a hug as well. Both boys clung to their sister and Rhanerya's heart throbbed at the scene. She wrapped her arms around her three children. Alaesys always said her mother gave the best hugs. She smelled of sweet Lilly's and lavender. Ally could simply lay down and be content with smelling that forever.

Laenor entered the room soon after. He softly grabbed Rhaenerya elbow and whispered something. In her ear. She gave her children a tight lipped smile and leaned down to whisper in Alaesys ear. "I'll meet you in your chambers."

After the family hug had dispersed, Laenor took his sons and made way for dinner. Rhaenerya and Alaesys walked silently to the younger room. The air was thick with tension and neither of them spoke.

Ally knew why Ser Harwin had to make such a sudden exit. She wouldn't dare speak to her mother about it, but she knew. Rhaenerya softly but swiftly shut the door behind the two of them. She eagerly took Alaesys hands and kneeled down in front of her. Her body still ached from labor but she pushed passed the pain.

"Ally, we need to leave at nightfall. I will explain more when the time is right, but for now we must be silent." Alaesys nodded in understanding. Rhanerya smiled again and ran her thumbs over the back of her daughters knuckles. There were unspoken words between the mother and daughter. "I will protect my children by whatever means necessary."

There was something Rhaenyra wanted to say, Alaesys could see it written all over her mothers face. When Rhanerya turned to leave, Alaesys grabbed her arm "Mother?" Rhaenerya couldn't hide the tears any longer. She tried to turn her face away but Alaesys said nothing, just wrapped her arms around her moms middle and squeezed as gently as possible.

Rhaenyra could no longer contain the sob of anguish. She buried her face in Alaesys hair and held her daughter like it was the last thing she would ever do. The two stood in the middle of the room, embracing each other. Rhaenyra kissed Ally's head over and over, whispering apologies.