Chapter 33: Mourning Dove

"Do not tell me how to mourn

"Do not tell me how to mourn. Do not pretend you know of what I must suffer."

•Warning•

Alaesys spent the rest of the day bent over a bucket, her body shaking in over exertion. Every fiber of her being told her what was going on within her body but she refused to believe it. She had stripped from her gown without the help of the handmaiden, stripping down to her undergarments and laying on the cold floor. It was welcoming to her, the coldness over how hot her body was. She wished her mother was there like she was when her stomach was upset as a child.

Her mother always knew exactly what to say and how to take care of a sick child. Alaesys felt like a child again. She wanted comfort and she wanted someone to tell her everything was going to be alright. She dare not tear Aemond away from his sister on the day she gave birth to his first niece and nephew.

The doors to her quarters opened and she sighed with relief. She moved her head to look at Aemond but it was not Aemond who stood before her. It was Larys Strong. He scratched his cane across the floor towards Alaesys as she demanded the handmaiden give her something to cover herself with.

"How dare you come into my room unannounced!" Alaesys wrapped one of Aemond's jackets around her body and the handmaiden helped her to a seat. Larys bowed in apology and took a seat across from the Princess.

"I am very sorry for the intrusion but I was just wandering and thought I would see how you were settling in." Larys eyes roamed over Alaesys sick form but he did not alway a word.

"I am fine." Alaesys sniffles and wipes her mouth. She sipped her cold glass of water and cleared her throat. "Is that what you are truly here for?" Alaesys looked at Larys and she had to fight to keep a straight face. It was amazing that this was a man of the Strong family. Not for the way he looked but for his lack of honor. She had believed in the rumors that he had his brother and father killed.

He had her brothers father killed.

Larys leaned forward on his cane and cocked his head. "Is there something on your mind, Princess?" Alaesys chuckled at his question and took a sharp hiss of air.

"Nothing to trouble you with. My mother taught me manners are important." Alaesys mustered the best smile she could abut it did not convince Larys. He tapped his cane on the ground and looked around the room. Alaesys grew tired of her he feigned innocence and leaned forward as well. "I am not blind Larys. What is it you are here for."

Larys chuckled underneath his breath and waited for the handmaiden to leave. He looked down at Alaesys hands over her belly and then back to look into her eyes. "Are you hiding something Princess? If you were to hide such a big thing from the Queen I am sure she would not be pleased."

"I am not hiding anything, I cannot hide something I do not know about." Alaesys spoke sharply to the man and eyed him up and down. Larys leaned forward a bit more, his beady eyes looking at Alaesys like some sort of prey.

"You need a friend here, Princess. I can provide you with that." Larys positioned himself against the soft cushions and checked his nails, humming to himself. Alaesys clenched her jaw as she felt herself grow sick again. She opened her mouth to dismiss the man but the doors of her room flung open and Aemond stood there, pulling off his riding gloves as he approached his wife.

Larys straightened himself and sat his cane beside him. Alaesys had never been so grateful to see the man. She held her upset stomach and slowly stood to meet her. Aemond grabbed her upper arms and guided her back into her chair.

"I'm sorry I was gone for so long, Dove. I hit a storm and it was not the best conditions for flying." Aemond kissed Alaesys cheek and turned to Larys, releasing his wet gloves onto the table with a wet slap. "I see you have a guest."

"I was just leaving, your highness." Larys shakily stood and bowed to the couple. "Think about my offer Princess. I would love to have you...for tea." Alaesys felt her skin crawl at his comment and simply waved him off. The way the man had looked at her, the bile in her throat rose again.

Aemond walked Larys to the door and opened it for him. His fingers twitched and he fought the urge to simply through the Strong onto the floor. Aemond slammed the door behind Larys and immediately went to tend to his lover. Alaesys clutched at her stomach and took in deep, shaky breaths through her nose.

"Talk to me, where does it hurt?" Aleasys brought Aemond's hand to her stomach as she fought back tears, her breaths growing sharper as the pain slowly subsided.

"I want to go riding."

"Alaesys it's storming. It's no place for-"

"I did not ask your permission." Aemond closed his gaping mouth and helped Alaesys stand. He helped her dress without a word and made sure she was as warm as she could be. Alaesys need to leave, she needed to escape and she felt trapped. The couple pulled their hoods up and managed to sneak through all of the servants and handmaidens still working diligently to serve the prince and princess's children.

Aemond was not over-exaggerating about the storm. The wind itself was nearly enough to knock her off of her feet. Onyl hours before it had been silent and bright but she had spent that time with her head in a bucket. Aemond raised his cloak as a shield and walked towards the field where Vhagar lay. She was huddled under some rocks, hiding out from the loud cracks of thunder.

Cesyja was perched above the same rock but raised her head when she saw Alaesys and Aemond coming over the hill. She opened her throat and roared, disturbing the slumbering Vhagar who at first only buried her face further into the rock. Cesyja climbed down from her perch and approached Alaesys who was fighting another twinge of pain.

"I'm okay, girl. I'm fine." Cesyja dropped her head between Aemond and Alaesys and sniffed her stomach. Ally sat a hand on her head and the beast ever so gently nudged Alaesys abdomen. Alaesys doubled over in pain and clung to Aemond's arm. "F-fuck..."

"Let us go back inside. Please." Aemond pleaded with his wife. Alaesys felt a rush of wetness trickle down her thigh and she shoved her hand up her dress. When she pulled her fingers back, the smallest bit of blood stained her fingers. Aemond's eyes went wide with horror and he examined the fresh blood. "Inside. Now." Aemond wrapped his black cloak around Alaesys but she pushed it off. The rain poured down on her face and she limped to Vhagar. Aemond rushed after her, continuously begging her to be seen by the maester.

"Aemond let me do this, please." Her face was streaked with tears. She grabbed Vhagar's ladder and groaned in pain with each step up the rings. Aemond followed closely behind and Vhagar was none too pleased to have the two on her back but did not try to buck them off. Alaesys settled herself in the saddle and felt herself grow light headed. Aemond settled behind her and wrapped his hand around the shaking woman. The wind and rain poured so heavy that he could barely make out her beautiful face.

"Soves!" Alaesys shrieked through her pain. Aemond quickly wrapped an around around Alaesys middle at the beast rose to her feet with a mighty groan. With outstretched wings, Vhagar took off into the dark sky.

Aemond struggled to keep the beast steady. Vhagar was not a fan of storms and had not had both dragon riders on her saddle since they were children. Aemond buried his face into Alaesys neck, whispering sweet words into her skin.

The rain felt like pins and needles against Alaesys face but she was thankful for them.

Aemond could not see the heavy tears streaking her rosy cheeks.

~