Ch. 2: Burn the Pages

"In my life, you are the sun that never fades and the moon that never wanes

"In my life, you are the sun that never fades and the moon that never wanes."

☽ ☽ ☽

Alaesys leaned up against the trunk of the Godswood tree, the red petal softly raining down on her in the hot summer sun. Her eyes scanned over the tiny black ink words on the book. She had taken to learning High Valyrian. She had caught on much faster than her brothers who would rather swing around swords and play in the dirt.

She bit at her already short finger nails and her eyes scanned the page over and over, her lips moving silently to try and fit around the difficult language. "Avy j-jorr-"

"Avy jorrāelan. I love you." Alaesys head shot up and there stood her mother, belly swollen and a wide smile on her face. "It's quite lonely out here. Would you mind some company?" Alaesys shut her book and scooted over a few inches for her mother. Rhaenyra held her stomach and sat beside her daughter, grabbing the girls hand gently to pull it from her mouth. "That is a nasty habit. I had a....old friend who used to do that. I don't think she ever grew out of it."

"Sorry mother." Alaesys looked up at the sky through the tree branches. Rhaenerya wrapped her arm around her daughter and pulled her close so her head was resting on her shoulder. "Mother is there something wrong with me?"

Rhaenyra pulled back and turned her daughter to face her. Her lips were pulled in a tight line and she pushes back the falling strands of her daughters braid. "Absolutely not. What makes you say such bad things about yourself?"

"I hear things. I try not to eavesdrop but it's so loud." Alaesys blinked the thick tears out of her eyes and looked down. Rhaenyra lifted her chin and stared into her eyes.

"Sweetling, you are too pure and smart for this world. There is nothing wrong with you. The only thing worth noting is how much you doubt yourself." Alaesys forced a stiff smile up at her mother and leaned her face into her palm. Rhanerya used the tree for balance as she stood, holding her hand out to the young girl. Alaesys took her mothers hand and dusted off her skirt, clutching the book at her side.

"Ser Harrold gave me this book from his personal collection. I have to make sure to keep it safe." Alaesys held out the book in front of her towards the sun, the thin pages almost translucent from the sunlight.

"That was very kind of him. Come, maybe Helaena would like some company?" Alaesys nose wrinkled at the mention of her aunt. The girl was...odd. Alaesys would hold a conversation with the girl for a time, until she brought out that big black slug. That thingy was so big and wet.

"Can I go find Jace? He promised to watch the birds with me at breakfast!" Alaesys didn't like to lie. But she knew her brother would cover for her. Jace was only 10 months younger than her. They were inseparable most of the time and she saw the boy as an equal. Luke was still her baby brother through and through.