Ch. 4: What You Can't Have

"You can be the moon and still be jealous of the stars

"You can be the moon and still be jealous of the stars."

☽ ☽ ☽

Joffrey took an instant liking to his eldest sibling. Ally had not stopped offering to hold him for her mother since he entered the world. Rhanerya teased her sons that Alaesys had a new favorite brother, to which she had to calm a sobbing Luke down.

Alaesys currently held the new babe in her arms, hushing his little babbles as she tried to read a book to the baby. He was more interested in his sisters long white locks, grabbing it in him chubby little fingers. Luke came stomping in, his cheeks still round and full from his youth. He crawled up beside of Alaesys and stared down at the bundle in her lap.

"He's so squishy." Luke reached in and poked the baby's cheek, as to which Joffrey's lip quivered and he began to cry. Alaesys sternly warned Luke to be more gentle as she tried to calm the baby. Rhanerya and Ser Harwin come into the room at the cry of the baby. Luke ran into Harwin's arms. The man lifted the boy up and swung him as Rhanerya took Joffrey from her daughter.

"He's probably hungry." Alaesys inquired. Rhanerya sat next to the girl and gave her a kiss on the side of her head. Rhanerya looked at the guard and gave him a sweet smile. Ally was young but she wasn't stupid. Hardin shared the same facial structure as her brothers, even the youngest. He didn't shared any similarities with Alaesys though. She didn't mind, he was a good man to her and her brothers and even took the boys under his wing.

Alaesys softly grabbed Luke's hand. "Come Luke, I heard Jace and Aegon, Aemond and Daeron were going to look at the dragons. Let's go, okay?" Rhanerya gave Ally an odd look but didn't say anything else. Lucerys was eager to go see the dragons so he was more than willing to go. Alaesys said her goodbyes to the adults and took her brother to the Dragon Pit.

Luke kept asking Ally a slew of questions. There was never a dull moment with the young boy. He asked her how she was able to braid her hair on her own and if she could braid his. He also asked why she had white hair and she didn't. Alaesys gave the same generic answers she always did.

The Dragon put was dark when they entered. Jace was already there with their uncles. Aegon looked a little too eager to see his dragon, Aemond hung back a little from the other three as Alaesys approached with her young brother.

"I thought you three would already be inside." Aegon seemed to perk up at the sight of his niece. He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it, to which Ally wrinkled her nose in disgust and brought her hand back to wipe it on her dress. "I see..."

Aemond had crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned on the wall. He chuckled when Alaesys rejected his brothers advances. Ally looked at him but did not smile back. It had been a month since the incident with her book and the two had barely shared a word. She would not even look at him other than when her grandfather or the Queen was around.

Aemond cleared his throat and lowered his head again. Luke tugged on the girls sleeve and pointed further into the dragon pit. She took his hand and beckoned the others to follow. Today Jace would be feeding his dragon, Vermax.

Daeron caught up to Alaesys and Lucerys. He and Luke babbled about something about play swords  and Alaesys had learned to tune them out when they got to boy talk. She felt the presence of Aemond behind her, due to the hair on her neck standing on edge.

"Can I help you, uncle?" She stopped at the bottom of the pit where the Dragon Handlers began to bring out her brothers dragon. Ally knew that Aemond did not like coming to the dragon pit. It brought him sorrow and a longing for a dragon of his own. Aemond walked around to stand beside of her as they brought out a goat as a little snack for Vermax.

"I wanted to apologize for the book. I didn't know how much it meant to you." Ally laughed in disbelief and physically had to bite her tongue. "I will make it up to you I-" Alaesys turned to face Aemond who was still an inch or two taller, even after her small growth spurt. Vermax, who had been stalking his prey, lurched further towards Alaesys with his mouth open and exposed sharp teeth.

Ally did not flinch, she even took a step towards the beast. Jace held out his arm but Alaesys simply gave him a hard look. "Control your dragon, Jacerys. He cannot know you fear him." Ally looked over her should at Aemond and walked towards him with her hands folded behind her back. "As for you, Aemond. You are nothing but miserable. If you wish to inflict harm onto me, then so be it. But do not bring my brothers into it." Aegon whistled in a tone that made Aemond knew he was in trouble.

Alaesys watched as her brother commanded Vermax. He held out a hand and said the magic word, "Dracarys!" A burst of flames launched from the dragons throat. Like turned into Alaesys skirts and hid his face. His sister simply stroked his head and watched as the goat screamed in agony before becoming nothing more than burned meat.

Vermax happily munched on his meal and the dragon handlers congratulated the young boy. Alaesys pulled him into a congratulatory hug, telling him how proud she was.

The dragon rider had receded into the depths and left the children on their own. Jacaerys and Aegon shared a small smirk and Jace out his hand on his younger brothers and Daeron's shoulder.

"Aemond, we know how much you've been wanting a dragon of your very own. So...we have found you one!" Aemond looked very confused but Ally could see the spark of interest in his eyes.

"Really? What are you talking about?" Aegon wrapped his arm around his brothers shoulder as the other three boys went in the pit. Alaesys look at Aegon with a deep frown. From the pit came the three others, a pig with wings tied to it came out squealing and screeching.

"What a mighty dragon we've found for you!" Aegon slapped his brother back and doubled over laughing. Aemond didn't say anything but his face flushed red with embarrassment. Alaesys shook her head I'm disappointment and put a hand on Aemond's back. "Behold! The Pink Dread!"

"Aemond.... You four should be ashamed!" None of the boys looked sorry for what they done. They brushed her off by saying it was just harmless fun. Aemond looked at Alaesys and stomped in the opposite direction. Ally did not try to stop him but the wave of sadness that washed over her was enough to make her knees buckle.