chapter 5 "lonesome and mad"

It's been a couple months. I've been training a total of 5 horses so far. I was in the middle of training on as I watched an older gentleman sit on the porch of the large house on the property. I was pretty certain I knew who he was, but did he know who I was?
"Hey pink do me a favor. Give these shot records to Mr Dutton up at that house" Lloyd says handing me a stack of papers.

"Me? Go in the house? Me? Are you sure that's a good idea Lloyd?"

"You have yet to meet him. I'm sure he'd like to meet you"

"What if he kills me?"

"Oh stop. He aint gonna kill you"

"Okay...but what if beth is up there... she'll kill me"

"Well I can't promise you that one. But John is harmless. Now go"

"Alright alright I'm going"

I took the papers before I nervously walked up the driveway. John was no longer outside. I politely walked into their house. I took one step in. I was amazed. The house was huge. It was bigger than anything I've ever seen before. I slowly stepped around the house. "Hello? Uh...mister Dutton?" No answer. I stepped down the hallway trying to find his office. As I walked down the hall I hear noises from one of the cracked open door. I walked over and looked in slightly. There I saw beth and rip doing some things above a wooden dresser. I watched with disgust for a moment then quickly walked away. As I did I was bumped into John the man himself.

"Can I help you with something?"

"Oh uh...uh yes sir..I.. I'm pink..rip..hired me..a couple months ago, I uh.. was told to give you these papers" I handed out the papers. I was scared shitless.

"Thank you...pink?" He walked into his den and I followed. "Is that your real name?"

"Um..yes sir... Odd I know"

He chuckled. "No kidding. So you're the one who tried to kill my family huh?"

"N..no! Sir..I..I didn't try...I didn't I swear"

"Relax. Rip told me everything. He says you're real good with horses"

"Yes sir.. I try to be"

John's attention shifted to rip walking down the hallways fixing his belt.
"Rip!" Rip stopped in his tracks and walked in his office. "Uh..yes sir"

"Where were you?"

"I uh..was uh in Beth's room sir"

"What for?"

"I uh..."

"He was grabbing a pair of boots for me that beth said she didn't want anymore"

"Ah" John nods. "wheres the boots rip?"

"Uh"

"I'm assuming she didn't have them? Right?"
Rip looked at me then at John then back at me "no. Sorry pink. She must've thrown them out"

"It's alright. I have others"

"Ooookay well anyways, heard pink is pretty good with a rope?"

"Yes sir she is"

"Might as well saddle her up Monday morning"

"Will do sir" rip nodded as he put his hat back on and left. I looked back at John.

"Once you're done with one of them horses I'd like you to talk to my good friend Travis. Travis sells and buys them kind of horses. You could make a fortune"

"I could?"

"Yeah. You train them you get the money. It's good business to enter into"

"Will do sir. Thank you sir." I walked out of the house meeting rip at the front porch.