Chapter 15: All Clear

"This just in: now that the fronts have been cleared in Africa, many nations are happy to pronounce the exclusion of any remaining Axis forces as the Allies liberate all countries they controlled. Many troops leave Monaco, a French territory known for harboring the Free French. Many believe this means the once-adored country will be liberated very soon. Now that the Axis begins to crumble, Mr. Italy and his representatives have declared War against Germany, joining the Allied forces. This truly is a new day in History, Folks!"

Cheers erupted in the room hearing the Broadcast. We had taken one of those idiots down! We did it! Now Italy was on our side, fighting against the Germans. Italy was currently with us, moping in the corner as he heard the broadcast. He was the first to lose this war. After the small invasion of Sicily, we were able to control much of him, and take him down slowly. It took nearly two more years, but we were able to accomplish our goal.

"Well, at least I don't have to fight too much anymore. No hard feelings about all the mean stuff I said? I was only trying to scare all of you!"

"Yeah? You are terrible at threatening people. Honestly, just stick to art and food; why do you always have to join Germany?" Alfred spoke. He had looked annoyed, but so was everyone.

"Speaking of that...was it true that you know where France was?"China asked. My eyes widened, and everyone suddenly went silent. Mr. Italy looked stunned as if forgetting about that whole situation. "Oh...Yes...I do..."

My eyes widened, and my throat began to choke up. Matthew looked at me from across the room, and my body moved on its own. "You know where he is? Tell me right now!" I demanded. I was about to approach him when suddenly Alfred held me back. "Whoa! Calm down! I'm sure he will tell you, but don't freak him out!"

"What? Tell me right now! Tell me everything you know!"

"OKAY! OKAY! Just don't hit me! It was true! Everything I said about him. He had been leading multiple resistance across France! I had run into him by accident, and we fought a bit. He had gotten away but dropped the letter. He was trying to cross over, but the German troops stopped him!" He started. It wasn't enough! I shoved everyone out of my way and began to shake him. "Tell me where he is if you know where he is!" I demanded.

"OKAY! OKAY! He is..."

"TELL ME!"

"HE IS..."

"NOW!"

"ENGLAND! Stop shaking him so he can say it!" Alfred stopped me, and I breathed in and out from frustration. Mr. Italy held onto his collar and began to breathe out deeply. "He...he is in Caen... there is a cathedral there...Englise de la trinitè de Caen... Mr. Germany told me he was being held at the Normandy Region Capital..." he finally spoke.

I looked at everyone, shocked. He had been so close to me this whole time. I had thought that maybe he was somewhere deep in France, or possibly in Germany...but no...he was at one of the port cities near the coast, across the water that separates us.

"We need to save him now," I spoke. I still needed to do things, but we couldn't wait any longer. "Yeah, I'd love to, but we can't all go. I can't leave the eastern front any longer than I have, and China is still dealing with Japan!"

"That's true! He sure doesn't give up. I'm even worried he might go for New Zealand or Australia...YOUR commonwealth..."

"Yea, I know, but this is so close...America, Canada...will you help me? I can't do this alone, and now that we know where he is, we can rescue him! Liberate France! Free their people!"

The boys looked at each other as I essentially begged for their help. "Alright, I'm in! We can finally put our plans into action! OPERATION OVERLORD! COMMENCE!" Alfred cheered.

"Operation Overlord, that's such a lame name!"

"You're a lame name! Why call yourself Canada?"

"France helped me come up with it!"

"Yeah? I forgot the French were weird!"

"You also have French in you! Hello? New Orleans!"

"Ugh! Don't remind me...they scare me sometimes..."

"OKAY! So we are doing this? We must prepare now so we can go in the spring!" I interrupted. They were having another sibling quarrel. I genuinely blame myself for how they act toward each other. They may have picked up a few things from Francis and me. "Yes! Let's do it! We can trick them! We can attack from one side and distract them! Then! We will come into the city of Caen and go to that cathedral! Our forces will push the Germans back! And we can take Paris!"

"Okay...one thing at a time, but I love the enthusiasm!" I smiled. I pulled them in for a hug, and they both held onto me tightly. "Don't worry; we will save him together," Alfred whispered. I could feel Matthew nodding in agreement, and I felt relieved. The reality of seeing him again was sooner than expected, but it was great. Once we take back France, we can begin closing in on the German forces and take down the Reich for good.

As we held each other, the memories of when Francis and I were younger flooded my mind. How even now, I wish for that simpler time. I wanted nothing more than to lay beside him and fall asleep. I wanted to take him home and keep him close to me forever. Judging by the timeline, Francis would have been in the custody of the Germans for nearly two or three years. Who knows how many things he had endured?

Even as he was on the run, I don't think I could fathom all the things he might have to do in order to stay free. Then for all of that to be suddenly taken away as he tried to return to me. I sincerely felt at fault, but not now...I was going to atone for my sins.

I will make it up to him forever by saving him and, once again, holding him in my arms.