Chapter 2: The depression

For some time, I stayed sick. My economy was suffering, and I didn't doubt that many of my fellow nations felt the same things I was. I was constantly getting news from around the world but stayed isolated. No one knew I was sick, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I asked the staff to ensure no one bothered me, and it's been two weeks. Francis has called here and there, and sometimes I would answer. However, on days I was feeling the worst, I would not.

My throat felt scratchy once more, and I began to cough loudly. Goodness, this sickness must go away before people, mostly Francis, start bothering me.

Suddenly, as if everything in the world had stopped, my door slammed open. "WHAT THE?" I spoke. I turned my head, horrified. Within seconds, I felt a body crash onto mine, holding me tight.

Nooooooo, my luck ran out.

"How did you get in here?!"

"Seriously?! You are trying to hide from me as if I won't find a way to you?!" Francis had come to me, unexpectedly...but expectedly. He held me tightly and separated gently. "Please! You must go! You will catch it!" I spoke. We got sick from weird things like the economy, but we could still pass on said sickness. "No! I shall be here with you! I will help in any way!"

"What?! Are you sick too? Or something?"

"Pfft! Arthur, do I really need a reason to stay with you? I will risk getting sick if it means I could watch over you!"

My eyes widened at what he said, and I pushed him away. I was a bit weak, so my shove did not push him away far enough. "You must leave! I don't want you here!" I demanded. I pushed him away again, covering myself with the blanket. How on earth did he get into my home? Who let him in? I swear! Once I find out, I will have an unhappy discussion about this over tea.

Francis jumped in the bed with me, and I shoved him away. "I hate you! Leave me alone!"

"Such harsh words! Aren't we supposed to be friends?"

"Pfft, don't make me regret it!"

We were friends...stupid friends...only friends...

I groaned out and felt tired from fighting against him. He held me close, and I didn't know whether to feel annoyed or stressed. "How did you get in?" I asked. I was calmer and continued to face away from him. "I have my ways...as well as money to bribe with..."

"Money?! You shouldn't be throwing your money around during times like this!"

"Oh! It wasn't much! Besides...I would pay any price to see you. Even if there were no money to my name."

"Wow, what an idiotic thing to say. That does not make sense, logically!"

Francis began to laugh against me, and I breathed out. I began to smile as he held me and relaxed a bit. He was keeping me warm. "Did you take off your shoes—"

"Yes! Now, let's enjoy each other before you kick me out!" He spoke. I nodded in response, holding myself tightly. "Why do you even want to be here? It isn't like I will suddenly die. I'm sure there are better things for you to do," I spoke. My face fell soft hearing his stupid laugh. I will always ensure everyone knows the French laughed in such a way.

"That's such a silly question. I care for you very much...isn't that obvious?"

"No...not really..." I laughed and turned my body to face him. We were lying in bed close. I had my hands close to my chest, and he used his right hand to support his head and his left to play with my hair. He gave me this strange look. It was a familiar look, of course, but something about it seemed more robust, more sure. "You see...every day I care about you more. Today...more than yesterday...and less than tomorrow...that's how much I care...if you could call it that," he smiled.

The way he touched me was sweet. Almost sad, as if I would disappear if he stopped. "You flatter me too much. I think you continue to hold me on a high pedestal. Am I really worth your gracious care?" I teased. I smirked at him, tilting my head, and he nodded.

"Oh! Well deserved. Even now—I fear that I don't give you enough. Enough care, that is. However, if you'd stop avoiding me and were honest, I could give you the care you deserve. And we can both agree that you need all of it!"

"Oh please, you make me sound pitiful! I am the Mighty British Empire! Fear me!"

"Darling, I think the only thing scared of a little rabbit would be a blade of grass!"

Francis began to laugh at me, and I tried to push him away. However, he refused to let go of me. He smiled at me once more and continued to play with my hair. Something about this...it really...almost felt romantic. Then again, many things we did for each other could be seen that way. However, we were only close friends; it was expected.

"Oh...If only you could read my heart, you would see the place that I keep you..."

My eyes widened at what he said. He didn't seem to regret saying that to me. It was a very...romantic way of saying he cared for me. However, he was serious. Francis was going to stick by what he said. "Do you speak the truth?" I laughed. His face was still serious, and he nodded. "Nothing but..."

"If I could trade my duty, my life, to have a normal day with you...no...a normal hour, at least. I would trade anything I could. Do you understand I would do anything to keep you in my arms forever?"

"Francis, you are being emotional again...are all French people like this? Or am I really that special?" I smiled. He slowly planted a kiss on my cheek, making me smile. Yup! Normal friend stuff! I've seen French people kiss each other all the time. It was basically the same thing. "Tell yourself anything you need to hear," he laughed.

I rolled my eyes at him and turned over again. "Well? I assume you are here to take care of me? Get on it? I'm not going to do it myself! Honestly! So useless!" I mocked. I tried not to laugh, but I'm sure he could tell. "Ah, my bad, I will get right on it, milord!"