16

When I was a child, I dreamed of what it could be like to be human. It was all I ever wanted. I gained so many experiences with my old friend. Francis...he had shown up when I needed him the most. He was my guardian angel when I was lost and was with me when he thought I had died.

That name...

Francis...

It was awfully familiar and made me feel a wide array of emotions.

In different languages, it meant different things: Frenchman or Free man. However, when I heard the name, I could only think of how it made me feel and not the literal meaning of it. Hearing the name, seeing it, made me feel...

Loved.

Now I listen to the sounds around me. The music was playing, and I recognized it.

I knew this piece.

It was by Bach. What was the name again? Air?...on a G? There was more, wasn't there?

"WHERE IS HE?! I CAME AS QUICKLY AS I HEARD!"

That piece of music had constantly been playing for the past hour, maybe? Or maybe longer? It was hard to tell. I had "woken" up a bit ago, but I couldn't see a thing. I couldn't move my arms, but I felt them. I knew that everything was still intact, but something wasn't right.

Or maybe, I wasn't right?

"FRANCI—Mr. France, you need to calm down! He is fine!"

They were all familiar voices.

Oh no...I just remembered something.

"I...never finished the letter..." I whispered.

I soon heard a struggle, then shuffling, then...a hand being gently placed on mine. "Please, he is still recovering; the burns are bad," that familiar voice spoke.

"He said something; what did he say?" The other spoke.

I recognized both.

"I...never...finished...reading the letter," I gasped. It hurt to breathe, but I still tried to talk. "Is he blind now? Why does he have that cloth on his face?" That sweet voice spoke.

"It's for medicine...his skin was badly burned, but he should heal fine, as you know. We heal...and he isn't blind...his eyes are sensitive right now. He may be disoriented or shell-shocked, but he will be fine, AS YOU KNOW. Francis, you are so dramatic!"

"Oh, that's a relief...thank you, Matthew!"

Hearing that name made my eyes widen. Matthew? Francis!? Those names! Those familiar voices!

I felt my body shoot up straight, feeling the cloth fall from my face. The light was bright and hurt a bit, but I got used to the pain once seeing them. "Arthur?" They spoke in unison. I felt my face scrunch up, and my breathing increase as I looked at them.

"The...letter...I didn't finish it... it's still there! I need to go get it!" I announced. I tried to get up, but they both quickly stopped me. "Please, you need to rest! you are in shock still!" Matthew spoke. "No! I looked away for a moment! It will get ruined! Please! I need to get the letter! I need to finish reading it!" I cried.

I pushed both of them away from me and finally stood up from the bed I had been lying on. "Arthur! You need to calm down! Please! you aren't in the trenches anymore!" Francis yelled. He looked at me distressed, but I only grew annoyed. I don't know what they were talking about, but it was frustrating.

"Back up! I WILL GET THE LETTER MYSELF IF I HAVE TO!" I shouted. I looked around my surroundings for a moment, seeing a small knife near the table. I looked at Francis, then at the knife, and he looked frustrated. "No! Don't think about it!" he demanded. However, I ignored him as I rushed for the knife.

"ARTHUR! NO!" He shouted. He had lunged toward me, stopping me from grabbing the knife by securing my hands behind my back. "LET ME GO! I NEED TO GET THE LETTER! I NEED TO SAVE THEM!"

"What letter is he talking about?" Matthew asked. I could hear him doing something in the back, but I ignored it as I tried to break free from the restraint. "I sent him a ...letter! He...must have been...STOP IT! reading it ...when they dropped the bombs!" Francis said, still struggling with me.

"GET OFF ME!"

"YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN!"

"GET OFF ME! OR I WILL KICK YOUR ASS!"

"CALM DOWN!"

"GET OFF ME!"

"MATTHEW! DO SOMETHING!"

I had shoved him back, but he kept a tight hold around me. I could hear Matthew rushing toward us, but I still tried to get Francis off me. "Here, hold him still!" he spoke. "I am trying!" Francis cried. He had placed his chin against my neck, pushing me down. It hurt like hell, especially since my skin felt like it was still on fire. "That hurts! You damn bastard-"

I felt a sudden prick on my forearm and suddenly stopped fighting Francis. "What?... Just happened?" I whispered. Francis finally let go of me, and I looked at him, shocked. I started to feel dizzy, and I tried to catch myself. "What did you do to him?" Francis asked.

We both looked at Matthew, me more in shock. He had a needle in his hand, his face was red, and he looked scared. "I gave him...a tranquilizer..." he spoke. My eyes widened again, and I placed my hand on my head. The room was starting to spin, and I was freaking out. "Francis, I don't know..."

I lost my balance, and Francis quickly came to catch me. "Hey, it's okay; I am here! Don't freak out! Everything will be fine; I will take care of you," he spoke. He held me close and sweetly, but I didn't know what to do. I was doing my best to fight it and stay awake, but I knew deep down it was a matter of time before I fully succumbed to the drug. "It's okay, I will take care of you; just go to sleep," he whispered. I could feel him holding me closer, and it was comforting.

I don't know what was happening to Me. It felt as if I was losing my mind.