14

May 7, 1915

Of course, I had not seen Francis since that meeting. He sent many letters, and I...of course, never responded. I was drowning in all of my work and the fighting. I felt tired for the first time in a long time. All I could think of was how nice it would be to get a break from all this fighting for once.

Now...

I couldn't even get in touch with Alfred for something important.

"Has he answered?" Matthew asked. I shook my head and waited for Alfred to pick up his stupid telephone. It was one tragedy and loss after another. The bad news began a few months ago when Germany decided to use poisonous gas. The chemical warfare had begun with Russia, but we didn't think much of it then. However, it wasn't something we could ignore once Germany hit Belgium with multiple poisonous gases. Germany knew what he was doing when he dropped those gas 'bombs.'

Now, I have to tell Alfred that many of his citizens were killed...on my ship that Germany sank. I'm unsure how he will react or if he wants to stay neutral after this, but I knew he wouldn't take the news very well.

Matthew stood beside me as I waited.

Then...the waiting ended.

"This is Mr. America! Who am I speaking with?" He cheered.

I stayed silent, but my mouth opened slightly. "Did he answer?" Matthew asked. I was still silent, but this time, I nodded in response. Matthew noticed my hesitant attitude and nodded in reassurance. "It's okay, this is diplomatic...just talk to him," he whispered. I knew that Alfred had said he did not want to be involved often and tried his best to close off the New World from Me, Francis, and Spain.

"Alfred... it's me..."

"...Why are you calling me?"

It sounded like he had taken a moment to comprehend hearing my voice. His tone changed from bubbly to serious. However, it should not bother me. I needed to keep in mind that this call wasn't personal.

I looked toward the picture frame sitting on my desk. It was of Francis and me. It made me also wonder if he would respond like this toward Francis. I knew that Alfred liked him better than me. I was a sorry excuse for a big brother and abandoned him when he needed me. I ignored him when he tried to reach out. I turned out just as my big brothers were toward me.

"Hurry up before I hang up."

"This isn't personal...it deals with diplomatic relations...it is important," I sputtered.

I wish Francis were here; I wish Francis were here; I wish Francis were here; I wish Francis were here; I wish Francis were here; I wish Francis were here.

"What is it...Is Matthew alright? And Francis? Where is he?" He asked frantically. "No...it is about your citizens...They were aboard my ship, the Lusitania."

Silence again.

"What have you done?" he asked. I could hear his breathing become frantic, and I knew I needed to just break the news to him. "Mr. Germany...sunk the ship...killing almost one-hundred and fifty American citizens," I finally spoke.

"What?" He asked, shocked. He began getting choked up and hearing his voice crack made me sad. "You are lying; why would you joke like that with me?" He asked. I frowned in response, and I looked at Matthew sadly.

"Is Matthew there with you? I want to talk to him now!" he demanded.

"Yes, I can give him to you," I spoke.

I slowly removed it from my face and gestured for Matthew to come to me and take the phone. "What is it?" he asked. He walked closer, and I handed it to him. "He wants to talk to you," I explained. Matthew nodded at me, confused, taking the phone. "Hello? Alfred?" Matthew asked sweetly. He had stayed silent, listening to what Alfred was telling him.

I could only wonder what he was saying. However, I have a feeling what he could be asking. "Yes, it is true...it happened merely hours ago...No...Francis is at the Western Front right now...Yes...he is going next week...okay...yes...see you soon..." Matthew stopped talking and looked at me with a reddened face.

"I love you too...brother..." he whispered. I felt shocked hearing what he had said. They told each other they loved each other. There was nothing wrong with that; it was sweet even. "Yes, I will give you back to him," he spoke.

I grabbed the phone from Matthew, pushing it against my ear. "Hello?" I asked. I could hear him breathing a bit, annoyed, then clicking his tongue. "I will deal with it...but I know for a fact this won't change much...I can tell you now that it would only push tensions between my people and Germany. I can send you supplies to drag out our involvement, but I can't promise that I would suddenly join the war effort because of it, do you understand?" he asked.

Wow, he sounded so grown up.

"Yes, of course...I am sure you will figure out the best action to take regarding the situation. I look forward to keeping in touch, Alfred," I spoke. I heard him breathe in deeply once more. "I know...thank you for telling me right away...I appreciate it...Arthur..." he spoke. He had whispered my name, but it still made me smile.

He was like my own child in many ways...

"Okay...Keep in touch," I added.

"Yes...and please look after Francis...I have read the papers, and I still worry for him," he spoke.

"Of course...I couldn't think of anything else to do," I smiled.

I could hear how he sighed in relief and acceptance once he hung up the phone. I sat there for a while with the phone still to my face. Thinking...

Thinking about what Francis said.

Thinking of what life would be like if we were human...

Would that make Matthew and Alfred our children?

It would certainly be better. Especially since now, they look closer at our age. That aspect always made me sad. Francis and I were older by so much, yet, we did not look that way...

It was a sad reality.

"He says he will handle it...and I trust him. Alfred does not want to be involved still, and I do not blame him. I don't think we need to worry about him so much," I explained. Matthew nodded in agreement and continued smiling at me as I returned to work. His smile said a lot, but nothing, all at once. "I know he was happy to hear your voice...deep down. Even if he did not want to admit it," he whispered. I paused what I was doing and looked back at him.

It surprised me that he always stayed by me. He was a good kid. "Thank you, Matthew...I mean it," I smiled. He could only nod and smile as if he knew I was telling the truth.