Chapter 5: J'attendrai

At a certain point, I had lost my energy. Francis and I were sitting at this small table in silence, while a beautiful, yet sad sounding song played in the back. He had prepared tea for me and coffee for himself. The only thing lighting the room was a candle at the center of the table. "Mr. Poland...he is an idiot...how do we expect to tell him..."I spoke. We had realized last minute that explaining it to Mr. Poland would be hard. That idiot...he really was an idiot!

"His head is filled with moths...what will we do?"

"I am not sure."

My hand rested on the teacup, and I played with the handle. I sat in the chair, still and defeated. I was looking out of one of the open windows, feeling the breeze come in. "Arthur?..." Francis spoke. His voice was soft, and I felt frozen. I hated him so much. However, it wasn't the spiteful hate that most people would think. I did, in fact, hate him, but it was for reasons that had nothing to do with being a nation. I hated him because I fell to my feet even as he said my name so softly.

I hated nothing more than people being able to make me feel this way. Then again, he was the only person who could make me feel this way. The history books told our story, our relationship as being hateful and aggressive, and in ways that held to the truth. However, things weren't that simple; we didn't simply "hate" each other. It was complex.

No one will know the stories from when we were young, how I felt deep down about fighting him. There was pettiness there and many reasons why we hated each other. Then we didn't, but then we did. So...hearing his stupid voice calling on me so sweetly...pisses me off.

But makes me feel like an absolute fool.

In many ways...we could be considered kindred spirits...or platonic soulmates.

Either way...he was part of me, and I was part of him. He was the best and worst parts of me mixed with the best parts of himself. We were two halves of a whole. However, you want to say it. We hated each other and cared for each other deeply. In a way, no one could understand. In a way that we could never understand.

"Yes..."

"What are you thinking?"

"Ah...I am not sure...I don't think I understand myself. I have felt this way for a long time. I wish I were not cursed to live this life. I have no happiness...I will never win..."

He placed a hand on mine, causing me to turn to him. "We can't help it...maybe one day everything will be easier...don't you think?" he asked. I looked down at his hand sadly. Why? Why must it be this way? I felt so heartbroken already. Heartbroken, and I still haven't allowed my feelings to come back. If he knew the thought crossed my mind, he would be disgusted. Well...maybe...I have heard rumors in the past of his once-famous Crown engaging in homosexuality.

And...well, he kissed me...and we did have sex...but people can do that without having feelings.

Wait...what if he did have feelings?

I slowly looked up at him in the eyes, and he jumped at my expression. "Why do you look at me that way? "Francis...have you ever had...feelings for one of 'us'? I mean a nation..." I spoke. His eyes widened, and his face nearly exploded as he turned red. "Huh? Where is that coming from?" he sputtered. "Oh...I am not sure. I was just wondering. I know Portugal has had those types of feelings for me...but I was wondering if you ever did," I spoke.

I pulled my hand away, waiting for him to answer. I tilted my head, looking at him. Judging by his reaction, that might be a yes. Either he did or currently has feelings toward someone. I began to think about who it could be. He has always had a soft spot for Mr. Italy...especially after all the terrible things he had done to him. What on earth could they bond over? Maybe Drunk driving, or maybe their love of smoking?

"Well...I suppose yes. It is only natural...why do you ask? Do you have romantic feelings for someone?" he asked. As if! I would ever tell him the truth. "Hardly; I am not a total twat," I spoke. I turned my head away from him and could sense a shocked expression coming from him. "Of course...You have always been so cruel!" he laughed. I could not help but smile at what he said.

I turned my head, seeing how he pouted. "Yet, you enjoy my company?" I asked. He breathed out, defeated, nodding. I don't know what I'd do if I ever found out he had felt like that toward me. I can't tell what my response would be. It was a silly thing that would never happen.

He and I have spent almost all our lives together. He was my sweetheart. I would not think twice about giving and sharing my entire life with him. He was dear to my heart, and I don't know what I would do now if he were to leave me. We had fought so much, come back together, and now the Cordiale allowed us to stay together. I have gotten used to the past few decades being close to him. My life would simply be incomplete without him.

He was the person I needed. He was all I needed. Would I ever tell him? God, no, he would laugh at me. "I enjoy many things about you. Your company alone is small compared to the other things I enjoy," he smiled. I smiled back at him, and he held my hand gently. I was a fool.

I am such a fool.

There was nothing I wouldn't do for him, and I am sure he knew that. "Of course...I did not expect any other answer from you, Mr. France," I whispered. I would spend all my time with him if I could. However, I think he would annoy me so much that I'd punch him. Maybe that is what makes our relationship so special.