Part 24

Motherfucker.

He had wasted no time.

Niccolo was sitting on the couch, naked, his eyes darting into the darkness of the night. Gabriella was asleep between his legs, her bare back exposed as the blue sheet had fallen right above her buttocks.

They had gone another few rounds after the first tryst.

They had gone until she had passed out.

He had burnt out himself. His muscles were aching, his head was throbbing, but - he couldn't find rest. He had sort of mentally prepared himself for her to flirt with Sebastien, and he knew Vincent would be lurking but he didn't expect him to be...

So sad and so intense.

Niccolo knew why she was doing this.

Mostly it was because of failures on his part. He should have been better, he should have been more prepared. Some days, he felt like they were right. The family never failed when his father was in charge.

He let it crumble to pieces.

He worked so hard to prove who and what he was, he sacrificed everything and in the end, he was left with nothing. If he couldn't get it all back, what was the point?

Niccolo stared down at Gabriella, her eyes closed, her hair tousled, while her face was pressed to his stomach. She was snoring softly, her back rising and dipping with each breath she took.

He reached out for her mane of blond hair, running his fingers through them. He didn't have anything.

He could have refused her plan, but - she would have done it anyway. Who knew what kind of thoughts she would have entertained without anyone being able to bring her back to reality? It had been a simple plan.

Trick Sebastien into providing one of their safe houses, somewhere to temporarily lodge them. Their reach was farther than his. They could put them somewhere the Devil couldn't find them... until they took care of him.

Of course, it implied hooking him and keeping him hooked for the duration of this but - it was what it was.

He had nowhere to put them.

Well, he did, but, how would he even get them there, and how could he guarantee their safety? He didn't know who was caught when mayhem ran down on them. Who spoke? Who betrayed him?

He had no idea.

If he couldn't find people to watch over them, and if he couldn't find somewhere to move them, then he couldn't do anything. Already keeping them safe was using everything he had.

He couldn't do both. He couldn't gain power and protect them.

But he was choosing.

Why did he keep choosing wrong?

If he was being realistic and logical, he would remind himself this wasn't a long-term plan. He couldn't upkeep this forever, even if he chose them. Most of the men would be loyal for so long. They had options and opportunities.

In the long run, he wouldn't be able to offer them anything anymore - and someone might swoop in with a better offer. It would be better to pull them now and...

Niccolo's throat went dry as he glanced down at Gabriella. He paused his motion, leaving his hand to cradle the back of her head.

So why couldn't he do it?

Why couldn't he pull the plug?

He raised his gaze, glancing at the empty chair across from them. What was he supposed to do now? When had things become so complicated, so tangled?