Part 23

Showtime.

Gabriella barely had time to step out of the car as Sebastien was rushing in her direction. He had been waiting for her outside, hands in his pockets. This made her feel as if he did not want her to go inside.

Because of his father?

Because of his future wife? She did not know.

"Hey."

"Hey - thank you. For this," she said, putting a forced smile on her face.

He had to believe she was torn and desperate.

"Sure, look - can we go... talk over there," he said, pointing to the little garden with his head.

Alright. So she hadn't been wrong; there was something off about this. Part of her hoped this was related to the whole fiancée thing because she couldn't afford to have Vincent against her.

Sebastien led the way and she followed behind him.

The silence was creeping her out, but she wouldn't be the one to speak first. She needed to see what the mood was and where his head was at. He led her to a wooden bench and sat down first before tapping the spot next to him.

She plopped down, her hands on her lap.

"I don't know that I can do anything, Gabby."

Not the way she wanted this conversation to begin.

"I-I knew it was a long shot. I'm... out of options Seb. What am I supposed to do? This wasn't supposed to happen. I didn't want them involved."

"You can't keep anyone out of this, Gabby."

"You were out... until recently."

"Yeah, and that blew up in my face." Oh boy. "But it was never... completely out, out. I wasn't involved but... I mean... my dad. My dad has my brother, so he didn't mind. My mom isn't a fan of this whole thing. I think my dad was just waiting for me to come into it myself. Instead of forcing me."

In a way, he had been forced in, no? He had done it under the guise of saving her even though she didn't ask for it... but it wasn't been that willingly.

"I'm - sorry. I - I'm still mad you did it without asking me. But I'm sorry you got involved because of me." If she didn't throw in a little shade, she wouldn't be able to sound sincere. But she did have to tug at his heartstrings.

"It wasn't gonna happen anyways."

"But marriage?"

He tilted his head to the side. "I'll be honest, I haven't met her yet."

"You're gonna marry someone you've never met?"

"Didn't you marry someone you hate?"

Hate. It was a strong word. She wouldn't say love but she wouldn't say hate. Niccolo had done enough for her that she could recognize what was under all the bullshit. Not to save him, or rescue him from his own red flags, but enough to know there was a kind person in there.

"Desperate people do desperate things..."

"You could have come to me sooner."

"I had just found out your dad was like a..." she lowered her voice to continue, "mafia dude."

Sebastien chuckled. "Really? Gabby?"

She shrugged. "I'm never gonna get used to this."

"Well, you could have waited, and talked to me."