Part 18

"Do I even wanna know?"

Lucas popped his lips as he scraped the bottom of the can he was holding. "I don't think so."

By the time Gabriella woke up, Niccolo was nowhere to be seen. Somehow, she was not surprised. "He does know he's all messed up and probably leaving a trail of blood everywhere he's going?"

"He knows."

"Idiot."

"Indeed."

"You risked your life for him, you don't care that he's out there doing something stupid?"

"Why do you?"

Damn, Lucas. No chill. Did he have to put her in the spotlight like this? The conversation hadn't been about her - it had been about him. "I- it cost me potentially a lot to get his ass back here. I don't want it to be over no..."

Gabriella bit her bottom lip, rage pumping through her body as she softly shook her head. "Son of a bitch. He went to see Vincent."

How did she not see this coming? She knew he was a fucking stubborn dumbass.

"Took you less time than I expected."

"Is he fucking kidding me?"

Why? Why did he have to act like he was in charge like she was his responsibility? He didn't have anything anymore. She didn't either but that was beside the point. It wasn't his fucking problem, it was hers.

She said she would handle it, but he didn't fucking listen to her. He never did. She didn't need him to save her, to be her savior. She could save her own damn self or endure the consequences of her actions.

Motherfucker.

"When?"

"When what?"

"When did he leave?"

"A few hours ago."

Why did she sleep? Gabriella had been stupid enough to think his massive injuries would slow him down a little, at least long enough for her to rest but how stupid she had been. Yet again.

A few hours was a long time. What the heck could they be talking about during all this time? And why the fuck didn't he wait for her? He didn't even know what he was getting into and he had nothing to offer.

Was he trying to get himself killed?

"I should have let his sorry ass die," she mumbled under her breath as she reached for Lucas' phone on the table.

"Do I wanna know who you're calling?"

"Guess."

Fine. Did he want to go behind her back and get involved in deals that didn't concern him? She would not let him bulldozer all over her. She might not be able to reach Vincent but she could reach Sebastien.

She could play the dumb game too.

***

This motherfucker.

Niccolo was sitting on an uncomfortable chair, bent over, his elbows resting on his legs as he stared at the empty desk in front of him. Empty. As it had been for the past two hours. The fucker dared to make him wait.

He knew what this was.

He had played that game before.

No one had played him on him though - until now.