Part 4

"Are you gonna keep that pissy face inside too?"

Gabriella flicked her tongue against the back of her teeth. "No, I'm not. I don't feel like breaking my mother's heart."

"He plays the peeping tom and you're pissed at me?"

"I'm pissed at you because you kept going."

He ran his fingers through his hair, flattening the dark locks. "Fine."

"Fine? Seriously?"

"What do you want from me, Gabby?"

She scoffed, shaking her head before leaning into the leather seat of the car. He was right. She was being stupid; what could she possibly want from him? What did she expect him to say or do? "Nothing, forget it."

"It's not that big of a deal."

"Not..." She took a deep breath and then pursued her lips as she exhaled the air in her lungs. "There is no way you believe that. Look, good for you, you like to play the part of the guy that doesn't give a shit - but even your cold dead heart as to know that wasn't right."

"I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it is."

"And I think you've been playing this role for so long, you forgot how to be a goddamn human. And for the record? A shitty life isn't an excuse to be a shitty person. My life has been a shitshow since I meant you, and I still have the decency to be a human being with feelings."

Gabriella ran her hand over her face. "You know what? It is my fault. I set my expectations too high. You show me a new low, and I keep thinking, gotta move past it, can't get any lower than this. But then you do."

"You agreed to marry me."

"Because it appeared to be what was best for me. So I'll pretend, I'll play the game. But don't forget that I think you're disgusting."

He saved her life. He rescued her from the Devil. She owed him that much, fine. He wasn't the worst scum of the earth as far as human beings went. As far as getting involved with him? She had let it get too far.

Gabriella wasn't in love with Niccolo, but she wasn't a robot. It was hard to separate both and that feeling of disappointment? The sinking feeling in her gut that had them twisted in knots? She felt this way because she had expectations.

She shouldn't.

Initially, it was sex and sex alone.

Somewhere along the way, she sought comfort, she expected him to be there. If she thought about it properly? He kept her around this long because it benefited him. Else, he would have moved on a long time ago.

"Whatever you say, sweetheart."

Why did she think? That he would agree with her? That he would change? They both knew he wouldn't - she shouldn't waste her time. Hopefully, she would be a good enough actress to fool her mother. And she would not fall prey to Niccolo's tricks. He knew she was displeased with him - he would use it to his advantage.

He would do anything to get a rise out of her. This didn't mean as much to her as it did to him.

"We're here," he said with a smile, tilting his head in direction of the window. "Showtime sweetheart."

"There is no showtime until she opens the front door," she began, rushing past him to get out as Theo was opening the car's door.

Gabriella heard him chuckle as he let her go first, following close behind. He had pulled the total: a nice suit, combed hair... the nice cologne. He was planning on charming her mother like he had done every other time.