Chapter Thirty-Four

Mia surveyed me up and down with a frown after I pulled away from the kiss. "Why did you stop?" she mumbled, her eyes falling slightly.

I tried to concentrate on what she was saying, I really did try but as weak and panicked as I was, my eyes once again stupidly fell to her lips. She was pouting them a little, and it was far from helping me not think about kissing her.

Suddenly, a hand was waved quickly in my face. "Hellooo, anyone there?" Mia giggled. 

Brought back to earth, I span my eyes back up to meet hers, and seeing the glassy, giddy look in her eyes I instantly remembered to my horror, what I'd just done. I'd kissed her back when she was drunk. Worse than that – when she was drunk, high, and literally on Viagra.

Tearing my eyes away from her, I let out a harsh breath and ran an irritated hand through my hair. "What the fuck is wrong with me?" I snapped aloud.

Mia's face scrunched together, and her head tilted slightly. "What's wrong with kissing me? I wanted you to," she said with a hiccup.

As I locked eyes with her, guilt flooded through my body, filling me with shame. I softly shook my head. "No, Mia. You don't know what you want," I explained softly. I knew full well Mia would never have kissed me sober. Just a few days ago she'd made it abundantly clear she wasn't interested in me.

"I...I," I shifted uncomfortably, almost painfully. "I took advantage, I should have pushed you away sooner."

Mia's eyes widened before starting to water. "So...so...so don't want to kiss me?" she asked softly, her voice incredibly fragile.

The look of hurt on her face filled me with panic, and so did the tears. Shit, Ethan, you dumb fuck you're making her cry.

"Hey, no, don't cry," I rushed out quickly before stepping forward and cupping her cheek so I could wipe away the escaped tear that had fallen on her cheek. "I do want to kiss you Mia, but just not tonight, okay. Maybe another day," I said as I threw her what I hoped was a comforting smile. More than a part of me hoped that she'd take me up on that maybe another day offer. After all, if she continued doing all this craziness when sober , I was certainly not going to do shit to stop it.

"Come on, let's get you to bed," I said. Taking her hand in mine, I slowly started to lead her over to the bed. I helped her underneath the covers for the second time and tucked her tightly in. Once done I looked down at her with a sigh. "Now, this time actually stay," I stated firmly.

Mia rolled her eyes at me. "Yeah, yeah, Mr. Bossypants," she said before reaching out to give my face a double pat.

I shook my head at her in amusement before making my way back over to the desk. Sitting down, I got back out my pages of study notes and started to shift through them in search of what I wanted to study.

I tried to stay as calm as I could, but my heart couldn't stop racing as an after-effect of what had just transpired. A girl you liked slapping your hand over her boobs, then proceeding to ambush you with a kiss, would be enough to raise any guy's blood pressure.

I'd barely so much as turned two pages before I became perceptive of the rustle of covers as Mia likely shifted over in bed.

My heart hastened, worried she was going to leap out of bed again and give me another heart attack. I was sure I couldn't take much more of her unexpected behaviour.

"The room is hot," Mia complained loudly.

Spinning around in my chair, I turned to look at her and found her still tucked cutely underneath the covers. I scanned her up and down amusedly. "Why don't you take off your jacket then genius," I chuckled, noticing she still had on a thick-looking black bomber jacket on.