fourteen

February 20th 2023
7:43 pm

"Vada, can you go check the mail!" Her mother called from up the living room.

"Sure, is the key in the drawer?" Vada called from the top of the stairs.

"Should be! Make sure you wear your jacket it's cold" Her mother pestered. The mailbox was only across the street, there's no way it was that cold. Ignoring her mother's request, Vada slipped on her crocs and grabbed the mail key from the cluttered drawer which consisted of the fancy cutlery, labels, check-books and the odd paper clip.

As she stepped outside in only her hoodie and leggings, it wasn't that cold. Only -1, it had been a fairly warm winter with maybe three possibly four snowfalls. Looking both ways she crossed the dark street to the mailbox. Just then a car pulled into her neighbour's driveway. From the driver's side emerged a figure, clearly over 6'0, and from the passenger a 5'4ish one. Both boys carried what looked like grocery bags towards the house, with the tall one's booming voice and thick Ontario boy accent cutting through the sharp wind

"Fuck" Vada muttered as she fumbled opening the mail box. She did it, slower than she'd like to and quickly grabbed the envelopes from the small metal cubby. She needed to get back to her house. Of course he was home, after all his mother's birthday was in a few days. Josh and Will hurried into the house, Vada quietly laughed to herself, all this time in LA and Josh probably forgot what winter felt like. She took the opportunity and darted to her door. Unfortunately he was back outside. She wanted to cry. Of course he noticed her, who wouldn't. She was running through the street at almost 8pm. She looked insane.

"Vada!" He yelled, hot on her tail.

"No!" She yelled as she put all her energy into sprinting toward her front door. God she hadn't done cardio in forever, and Josh being over 6'0 didn't help. She was fast, but he had the long legs advantage.

Vada reached the front door and pushed down on the handle. It wouldn't budge. Finally she got it to open and quickly tried slamming it in Josh's face before sprinting through her front hallway and up to her bedroom. Josh pushed the door open before following her.

"Hey Karina! Be back in a sec just gotta talk to Vada!" Josh greeted Vada's mother as he spirited  through the living room to the stairs.

"Josh you're gonna fall!" Karina called, he was running up the stairs, three at a time.

"I'm good!" He called from the top. Vada was close to her door, she turned the corner into her room with Josh right behind her. She tried slamming the door once more, only for Josh to catch it and push his way through.

"God damn Vaids, where'd you learn to run that fast" He huffed as he bent over clutching his stomach.

"Rory Gilmore" She responded. He just nodded.

"C'mon we're going for a drive" He said, pulling her by the arm down the stairs. She didn't protest. Vada felt horrible to begin with, refusing to go with Josh would just make things worse.

"Karina we're gonna get coffee, want anything?" Josh asked Vada's mother as they walked through the living room.

"What the hell just happened" She questioned the two twenty year olds, it was clear she was holding back a laugh.

"Nothing, coffee mum?" Vada sighed.

"I'm okay" Josh and Vada nodded in unison,

The walk to Josh's mom's car was so brief, yet so painfully awkward. Josh sat in the driver's seat and Vada in the passenger. Driving to the Tim's was just as awkward. Both having so much to say but not knowing how to.

"Welcome to Tim Horton's what can I get for ya?"

"Hi, um can I get a large ice capp, and a small white hot chocolate with whipped cream. And a 20 box of timbits"

"Sure thing, anything else?" The worker asked, Josh paused and looked at Vada who shook her head no.

"And a fruit explosion muffin please" He added. Vada's favourite.

"That's all?"

"Yes"

"Okay that'll be $13.29 at the window"

_________
2/26/2023

i swear i meant to publish this last night

k, bye i love u -DARCYSBITCH