Afterwards: part two

Start from the beginning

Maybe

Maybe..if I never ask it'll never happen.

No. I have to.

The hardest choices are ones we have to make in order to move forward. Life will go on even if you don't make that decision. But at least you won't be left wondering what could have happened.

So I walked on. I stayed a few feet behind him, and we walked up the path.

He finally stopped beside the sakura tree that stood at the end of the path. His hair swayed in the wind, brushing over his face softly. As I walked closer, I could see those amethyst eyes that had been a source of distraction ever since I had looked into them. The mole moved along with his lips as he spoke, holding out a hand for me.

 The mole moved along with his lips as he spoke, holding out a hand for me

"Sora." He pulled me under the tree, and we stood there for a moment in silence, before Ayato broke it. "We need to talk."

"That's funny considering how much I've tried to talk to you this past month and how you've done everything to make sure it didn't happen." I tried to keep the bitterness out of my tone and failed completely.

He sighed, and I took my hand away from his. "Why?"

"Its a little hard to explain."

"Then I'll make it easier. Is it because you don't feel the same way anymore? Or that you have a political marriage planned? Or that you can't stand me-"

He put his hand on my lips and stopped me mid sentence. "That's absurd, Sora."

"What else am I supposed to think?"

"It is true that our relationship won't be the same anymore after this, but listen to me darling."

"You better have a good explanation."

He laughed. "Yes. Yes I do. I would like to change our current relationship-"

"So it is like that?"

"Because," he gestured to something at a tree, and bent down on one knee. "Ever since the first time you tried to assassinate me, my life has been a marvelous adventure. I have never imagined holding someone so close to my heart, because I was used to the idea of using my marriage in politics to protect my sister. Now the very idea of being tied down to someone that isn't you repulses me. I had never imagined that someone could bring out sides I didn't even realise I had. But Kurimiya Sora, you do it so effortlessly. I have this selfish desire to be by your side so long as my heart still beats." He was smiling then, and opened the box. It was a luminous stone I hadn't recognised. The colours of the sunset made it appear magical.