Chapter 19 | Realisation

UNEDITED

"Not after what I had done."

"Is that related to why you were working and why you quit the fatui?"

"Yes."

"Just what did you-"

I saw a flicker, and I stood up. "That's the signal. We better get going."

"Sora," Ayato protested.

"We have to go. Aya-chan first."

He didn't say anything, but followed me regardless. We went out of the liyue harbour, to a secluded area as was the usual procedure. Under an apple tree, there was a person dressed like a merchant selling goods at the festival. As we got closer, he glanced up before smiling.

"Ah, Miss Lu, you're right on time."

"Do you have the information?"

"Straight to the point as always, aren't ya?" He grinned. "Of course I have the information. We aren't a top-notch guild for nothin'."

"Well?"

"Yes, yes. I'll get right on it. Hiiragi Genji is from the well known clan in inazuma. He's the eldest son of a branch family who has conspired to gain power numerous times. His hobbies are buying eroetic novels and trying to sneak into the public bathhouse. He arrived in inazuma via a merchant ship, and has looked for a bodyguard since. He first went to..dammit where's that damn paper?" He went through his bag, and took out a paper.

"uh- so he went to the adventurer's guild and put out a commission. However, as soon as his commission was accepted, he cancelled it, like a psycho. Anyway, so he still did search and finally got a bodyguard. The said bodyguard is a well known treasure hoarder. He'll probably ditch him after taking all his money. He's left Liyue harbour last night, and is now headed to Mondstad. That's all."

"So we just missed him..dammit."

"Miss Lu, about the -"

"What were his plans like, about going to Mondstad?"

"Miss Lu, it's not like we have ears everywhere, how could we-"

"Spill. It." I glared at him, and he flinched.

"Yes ma'am. He visited a tavern and he mentioned that he was going to stay briefly at Wangshu inn before going to Mondstad."

"Wangshu in.. alright." I took out two bags full of mora and handed it to the informant.

"You can keep the change for the tip about Wangshu inn."

"Miss Lu, pleasure doing business with you as always." He bowed before leaving.

Ayato, who had been quiet during the whole interaction, stepped closer, taking off the cloak.

"Let's head to the Wangshu inn then."

There was something in his tone that made me feel like he was a little angry.

"Right."

He didn't talk to me the rest of the way to the inn, and once we got there, we found out that he had left. It was already late, so we decided to rest at the inn.

"So, why are you mad?" I asked, letting myself into Ayato's room and shutting the door behind me. "If you're worried about that guy.. don't. We'll catch up and keep Aya-chan safe."

He was sitting on the bed, and still hadn't uttered a word.

"Hellooooo? Commissioner? I know you can hear me. You don't want to talk to me?" I squinted down across from him on the floor so that I was looking up at him.

"Ayato?"

He sighed, and started pinching my cheeks.

"Slop thaw Ayayo."

"I'm frustrated."

He cupped my face and looked down at me.

Damn..this view. Think holy thoughts. Think holy thoughts. If I could do that down-shut up.

"Your cheeks are red."

"No?"

"Sora, why.." he sighed. "Can't you tell me why you always keep punishing yourself?"

"You say that like I'm some masochist."

"Sora."

I tried to look away, but there was only so much further I could look away with my head being held hostage between Ayato's legs.

That sounds really wrong.

"Alright. I got it. I got it so can you let me go? This is a little.."

"Oh." He released my head quite suddenly, and since I was kind of in a daydreaming daze, my face hit the mattress right next to his crotch.

"Sora, even your ears are red," he said, and I felt his hands brush up against them.

"Shut up, commissioner." With one swift move I jumped out of the window, and into the comforting darkness of the night.

My was my face flushed? Why is it hot? Why does it feel like my heart is beating abnormally?

Symptoms of a certain poison, yet I wasn't poisoned.

No. This can't be happening. I was careful. I was really careful. I didn't want to deal with these emotions, and I didn't didn't have to, for years.

He was the target of my assassination. He was supposed to die by my hands. And now..he was the lord I was serving. At least for now, I had felt like I found a place I could stay.

He was the head of the Kamisato clan, and I was an assassin. I shouldn't have these thoughts. I can't afford the luxury and it would never come to fruition. Not with a mere servant like me.

I sat down under a tree, as fireflies lit up the little space, and gazed up the starry sky.

Ayato's face flashed into my mind, and his words repeated in my head.

"Ah. I've really fallen."

**********************

So I once again forgot...🧍

Also good luck on people pulling for Cyno

Finding those bugs are a pain