Chapter 34 | Kamisato estate

UNEDITED

True to his word, Kamisato Ayato left sumeru with Yae Miko soon afterwards, with only the cold breeze as a reminder of what happened that night.

My head was muddled with thoughts of what I should do about his confession, and I focused on the lessons for the time being to avoid them. In the month that followed his departure from Inazuma, I began to receive gifts from a secret admirer. Not exact a secret to me, due to the Camelia drawn on the notes sent with the gifts; the Camelia that was on the back of Ayato's kimono.

The first time, it was flowers. Red Camelia; he definitely knew what meaning they held in the flower language. It was accompanied by a note, which read,

I was leaving when I came upon this flower. It reminded me of your fiery red hair, which was as vibrant as it was the day we met.

This man really..

That was the start of many gifts that followed, one after another. Some so extravagant I wrote to him that I couldn't possibly accept something so expensive, to which he had replied that if I didn't want it, I could simply discard them. I didn't know whether I should be concerned for the Kamisato clan's budget or simply accept them.

Time passed away at an incomprehensible pace, and soon, it was the end of my substitution period at the Akedemia. And with it, I had made my decision. The only thing left to do, was to go and give my answer to the commissioner.

"Do you really have to go?" Cyno asked, his arms folded. The Mahamatra was a sight to behold under the sun on the docks, where he had come with Tighnari to see me off.

"You could start working here permanently. Your skills guarantee that, from what I've seen," Tighnari added.

I smiled at my two friends, who made my stay better than I could have ever imagined.

"There's something I need to do in Inazuma. So I have to leave now. I'll definitely visit you again," I promised them. "I'll miss your silly jokes, Cyno."

"They're not silly. They're hilarious because it's a play on words and-"

"Cyno. Stop it." Tighnari shot him a glare. "You're not funny."

"How could you say that?" He frowned.

"To the great Mahamatra?" I added with a gasp.

Tighnari had the same expression on his face that he had when the sages try to bring him to the Akedemia with one excuse or another. He really was done with us.

"It's funny because it is a play on words and it doesn't mean exactly what it implies but rather the meaning you get-"

"Did you forget we came here to see her off?" Tighnari interrupted him, and Cyno stopped.

"Sorry, Sora."

"It's okay." Just as I said those words, the ship gave a signal. "Oh. Looks like its time to go."

The pair looked at me sadly like they were seeing their child leave home, and I laughed. "What's with those glum faces? Come on, now, its not like I'm leaving forever."

For some reason, Tighnari pat me on the head. "Feel free to come back anytime. The village's doors will always be open for you."

Cyno followed suit, with such a serious expression that I had to try not to laugh. "The Akedemia will always welcome you too."

"Thank you both so much."

"Tell us if that commissioner tries anything funny," Tighnari said and Cyno nodded.

"Wait, how do you-"

"We have our ways," Cyno smiled proudly.

"I'll write to you. Until next time we meet." I waved, and rushed to the ship.

They stood there watching as I boarded the ship, and I could see their figures grow smaller as the ship took off, until they disappeared completely. I missed them already.

*******************

"Its been a long time, Narukami island," I mumbled as I got off the ship.

As I walked through the Chinjuku forest, I got tackled by someone and fell face first on the grass. I didn't bother attacking, because it was someone I knew well.

"It's been a long time, my bro my dude my nin-nin ninja."

"Stop giving me wierd nicknames."

"Eh?" The one and oni gasped. "I was welcoming you back. How could you?"

"You could do that without making me kiss the ground."

He laughed loudly. "Hahaha, sorry about that. That aside, I heard you left?"

"Yeah."

"My beetle fight buddy, how could you leave before the annual 678th beetle tournament?"

"You say annual but you hold one every month."

"So?" He was dumbfounded.

"Nevermind. How have you been?"

"I'm always raring to go, ready to fight, in my best condition, of course."

"Sure.."

"What? You don't believe me?"

"Of course I do."

"My bro my dude my nin-nin ninja, you finally get how amazing I am?"

"Sure. Hey, do you by any chance know what's been going on in the Kamisato estate?"

"The Kamisato what? Oh wait, the place Thoma works at?"

"Yeah."

"I don't know," he shrugged. "What do you want with those rich people? Did ya get into some trouble? Don't worry, the Arataki gang can resolve that."

Sometimes I wonder how Shinobu doesn't get a headache when she gets them out of trouble.

"I didn't get into any trouble. I have to go now."

"But what about the tournament? We have to collect onikabuto."

"We can do that some other time. Sorry, Itto. I have a prior engagement."

"Eh? Fine. I'll find the best onikabuto before then." He grinned, and I mirrored his expression.

"Looking forward to it."

As I got closer to the Kamisato estate, I became aware of how unusually quite it was. Of course, the Shuumatsuban were stealthy in their movements, but I could still sense them when they were near. They weren't anywhere near the estate, and nowhere in sight.

I was planning on using the door this time, since Ayato seemed to disapprove my usage of his windows as doors.

Usually, there would be the old lady cleaning up nearby, and sometimes Thoma helping her. At least a few servants would be around, with guards stationed at the front of the commissioner's office. But today, there wasn't anyone. None.

It was hauntingly silent in the Kamisato estate. I stepped in, and stopped at the scent lingering in the hallway. It was a smell I couldn't ever forget, nor mistake it for anything else.

The thick smell of blood.

******

:D

🏃