Chapter 30 | Goodbye

UNEDITED

"And he won't even tell us who it is. Can you believe that?" I said as I  put my teacup on the counter and rolled my eyes.

The dog that sat across from me stared at me impassively. "Woof." Surely you have human companions to share your sorrows with, my lady.

I waved a hand. "That's embarrassing to talk about. I don't want them knowing about my unrequited love for my boss."

"Woof woof." And talking to a dog at this time of the night isn't?

"At least I'm not drinking alcohol and losing my mind. I hate this feeling. How do I ever make it go away."

After a pause, Taroumaru barked again. "Arf." Well, why not get it off your mind and move on?

"How?"

"Woof." The easiest way would be to confess.

The tea went down the wrong pipe and I coughed. "What? No. Confessing is not my forte."

"Arrrf." Then, are you going to keep that one-sided love forever? You truly won't regret it? Take it from me, it's better to do it and regret now, than let it eat away at your heart in the future.

"Maybe you're right." I drank the tea and placed the empty cup on the table. "I should talk to the commissioner and do it, once and for all."

I should tell him everything.

With Taroumaru's words on my mind, I made my way through the trees to the Kamisato estate. Passing by a sleeping Shuumatsuban member that was to keep watch tonight, I sighed at the slacker. My feet were nimble and took me stealthily to the commissioner's office. The light was still on, meaning that he was working late, again.

I wish he wouldn't push himself so hard, but with the recent events, he wasn't likely to stop anytime soon.

It's okay, I can do this. I can...no

My heart rate was abnormal, my mouth felt dry, and I was breathless. Maybe I should stop while I could.

No. I even brought his favourite milk tea on the way here. I can't back out now. Besides, the commissioner won't be so mean as to humiliate me because of it.

I stepped closer to the door, and stopped with my hand on the door as I heard voices inside.

Who could be in the commissioner's office this late? Thoma?

But the voice that I heard wasn't Thoma.

"..I still can't believe you planned all of that, Commissioner. You are truly a strategist." Ah, it's one of his advicers. What was his name again? Kabuki? Masumi?

"You flatter me, Tatsuki." Ayato's smooth voice followed by his laughter made me smile involuntarily.

I should stop eavesdropping. I should get going and come back another -

"You have that assassin completely wrapped around your finger."

They were talking about..me?

"Of course. I didn't expect it to go so smoothly either."

"When did your plan even start?"

"From the first assassination attempt. It was easy to lure her and make a fake deal."

"She even left the fatui for you. I didn't think you'd let yourself get poisoned to earn her trust. Even allowing Hiiragi Genji to leave inazuma to chase him with her."