Chapter 3 | Housekeeper

UNEDITED

"Have you heard of the traveller, miss assassin?" Kamisato Ayato inquired from behind a mountain of paperwork that was sitting on his office table.

It had been a few days since we laid out the terms of the contract, and I had been waiting for him to contact me.

"Yeah, I have. I heard the traveller helped a lot around with the festival. Lumine, is her name?"

"Yeah. And our work begins with her and the iorodi festival." I could see his hair sticking out from behind the pile of papers, and frowned.

"The festival due to which you haven't stepped out of here for days?"

"That's right," he said, placing a bundle of papers away from his face. Now that I had a closer look, he appeared to be exhausted. Three days without any proper rest or food would do it to anyone. Yet somehow he still had that air of elegance.

"So what should I do, commissioner?"

"Familiarise yourself with my people."

"Huh?"

"Oh, right, where are you staying now, miss assassin?"

"Out." I folded my arms and leaned against a chair across him.

"Which place?"

"Outside." I pointed out of the window. "Usually the chinjuku forest."

For once, Kamisato Ayato appeared to be baffled at my choice of sleeping quarters.

He sighed, rubbing his forehead. "You aren't from around here, miss assassin?"

"I don't think I have to reveal that to see you."

He looked at me impassively, like someone scolding a child.

"But it is true that I don't reside in this island."

"Oh, my.."

"What?"

"Stay at the Kamisato estate from now on. As I said before, familiarise yourself with my people."

"Why-"

"It's necessary for the plan. Hold up your end of the deal and I will hold up mine."

"So I should work for you or something?"

He smirked then, the playful expression making me grimace.

What was he planning now?

"I have the perfect job for you."

"I strongly doubt that, commissioner."

"Hm.." he gazed intently at me, observing my attair. "Let's find out. Thoma."

At the mention of his name, the renowned housekeeper of the Kamisato clan came through the door, a tray with teacups on his hand.

"Yes, waka?" He placed the tea on the table and Ayato took a sip.

"This is the new help I've hired. Kurimiya Sora. Take care of her and teach her anything she needs to do."

Was he kidding?

He had to be.

"You want me to be your housekeeper- sir this is hardly-"

He smiled, and I glared at him. "why, you can't do it?"

"Who said I can't? I can definitely..wait a minute.." this sly fox..he tricked me.

"Don't worry. You'll also be helping me with some paperwork as well."