Chapter 28 | Hiiragi Genji

UNEDITED

Things were too quiet since we had come back from the journey. I had been to every region in teyvat, yet the only memory of travelling I could reminisce on fondly was of the recent trip. I was completely sure that Hiiragi Genji had come back from Dragonspine, and that he had gotten the heirloom which was necessary for his plans.

I said as much to the commissioner, who was playing with chess pieces on the table infront of him.

"I can handle him quietly, and make sure he won't come near Aya-chan."

"No. You can't go, Sora."

"But don't you see-"

"Stop. It's the Kamisato clans issue that will be resolved. You can't get involved anymore."

I gritted my teeth, and my nails dug into my skin when I clenched my fist.

"Ayato."

He didn't even look up at me, placing another white pawn on a square.

"I have a plan. And after the news of my engagement, Ayaka will be out of this matter entirely."

"Yes, commissioner." I left; I couldn't stand being there any longer.

I spent the night outside, hoping the morning would never come. Unfortunately it did, as the sun stung my eyes through the leaves of the tree I was laying on.

"Ugh. It's morning." I stared at the sun in displeasure.

At once I noticed the commotion in the Kamisato estate. After making sure my hair didn't look like a scarf that survived a hurricane and that I looked presentable, I went out to see what it was all about.

Sure enough to my predictions, Hiiragi Genji was outside with some of his family members, demanding an audience with the commissioner. One of his servants was carrying a large container, which I had no doubt contained the vase. It was so obvious and too easy to snatch it. Still, the commissioner had a plan that I unfortunately said I would follow.

The doors to the commissioner's office opened, and Ayato stepped outside in all his blinding glory. He lips tugged upwards, and the morning sunlight enveloped him gently.

I wanted to be there near him. But now, someone else was going to. And it hurt to know that that person couldn't be me.

The commissioner led them to his office, and I saw cups of tea being served to them. I knew I should have put some poison in that. I had the perfect one no one could even trace.

"To what do I owe this meeting, Young master of the Hiiragi family?"

Hiiragi Genji was baffled, since he was confident that the commissioner wouldn't be here. He controlled his expression, hoping to save his plan by his trump card.

"Oh, but you might be aware, Commissioner, about the relationship between your sister and I." I wanted to wipe the floor with his face.

What relationship, you damn creep?

"I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Come on now, commissioner," one of the elders Hiiragi Genji came with said, being unable to keep his nose out of the business. "Give us some face as one of the tri-commissions."

"If you can't take my word for it, then you can take a look at this." His grin grew wider, and I had the sudden urge to curve it wider.

Calm down now.

"I expect, that you would know what this means." He gestured to one of the servants, who carried the container and revealed the vase underneath.

Gasps were heard across the room and I rolled my eyes from where I was laying on the cieling wooden boards.

"This is.."

"Commissioner, does this mean.."

"A marriage between the Kamisato and Hiiragi family.."

All eyes were on him, watching his every move as the commissioner elegantly placed his tea cup on the table.

"Hiiragi Genji," he finally began, and the bastard in question had the audacity to smile with all his teeth.

Should I break them?

"Yes, Commissioner?"

"Will you take responsibility for your actions?"

"Of course, I will."

"So you testify that everything you've said is the truth?"

"Yes."

Ah. I know that smirk. Hiiragi Genji had fallen into the trap the commissioner had laid out right infront of him.

"Call him." With the order from the commissioner, the servant beside him nodded, and gestured to another by the door.

The door slid open, revealing a rather extravagantly dressed Lu Wei, with his hair slicked back and eyes free of the bags under him.

Who are you?

I almost laughed at the attire, since it was so unlike him, but I couldn't deny that he looked pretty good. Lu Wei walked over to the table, and started examining the vase.

With a face that showed no ounce of remorse, he stated, "this vase is, at most three months old. The Kamisato heirloom is a vase that was made more than thirty years ago. It was made from materials distinct to the narukami island, while this vase is made out of clay commonly used in Liyue pottery."

The commissioner nodded Shamelessly. "It's true. This is a renowned artisan from Liyue, and I can assure you that his words are the truth," he lied through his teeth.

"But I stole-" Hiiragi Genji burst out, and realising what he had said, covered his mouth with his hands.

"Hm?"

"Nothing." He didn't even recognize Lu Wei. It made me shake my head knowing this imbecile made it this far.

"It's my fault for not seeing things through, commissioner. We'll take our leave now." The relatives stood up in humiliation, and one of them gestured Hiiragi Genji to leave, who was still fuming.

As he stood up, the commissioner called out, "wait."

"Hiiragi Genji, the defamation of the Kamisato clan, false claims of relationships that could damage the reputation of my family, false implications to arrange a marriage on lies...I hope you're ready to take responsibility."

Their eyes met, and Hiiragi Genji stumbled back.

This will take the Hiiragi clan some time to recover from, but the Kamisato clan won't be unscathed either.

The commissioner would rather get into an unconventional marriage himself rather than let his sister take the downfall. That is, if it really was an arrangement.

At least, I wanted to believe that it was.

********