Chapter 6 | Kunai

UNEDITED

We had finally arrived in Inazuma city, and Ayaka rushed off to see if her commission had been done. Katherine greeted us with the same cheerful manner, and Ayaka didn't waste a moment to ask about her commission.

"Can I excuse myself for a moment while you talk with Katherine, princess?" Ayaka nodded, although she seemed embarrassed that I called her a princess.

After bowing like Thoma does sometimes, I left to find the stall that had become popular for its specialty drinks. Thoma usually had drinks prepared for Ayato, but today he had to go to Ritou, and would take a while to come back.

"Hello, what can I get for you?" The stall owner smiled.

"A milk tea, please."

"Coming right up."

Maybe it was to repay him for taking me in, or letting me stay inside the estate. His offer was quite generous and he paid me well. Kamisato Ayato wasn't as cold as I imagined him to be.

After I got it, I headed to where Ayaka was standing with a box in her hand.

"Is that it?"

"Yeah. I had these specially made, so it's a relief that it's finished early." She frowned, and held the box up. "But will nii-sama like it?"

"I'm sure he'll be pleased with anything you get him."

Ayaka shook her head. "Still, I want to give him something that he'll really like."

"Well, I'm sure this present is one he'll definitely like."

"If you say so, Sora."

"Let's head out then?" I gazed up at the sky. It was dark, and the wind blew ominously as if a warning of the calm before the storm. "It looks like it might rain."

"Hm."

We walked a long way from inazuma city to the chinju forest, when I felt the presence of several people in the shadows, following us. I could no longer feel the presence of the two Shuumatsuban that always tail Ayaka to keep her safe.

My heart sunk.

What happened to them?

Whoever was behind it, they were quite skilled if they had managed to stall the ninjas.

I glanced at Ayaka, who was still smiling while clutching the box. It was up to me to protect her now.

"Aya-chan, how fast can you run?"

"Huh? Kind of fast? Why-"

"Then please excuse my behaviour for a while." Within moments, I carried her and jumped up, since using trees would leave no trail behind for them to follow.

"Sora, what are you-"

Seeing us on the run, our pursuers started to shoot arrows at us.

"Oh my..who is-"

"I don't know. But they don't seem like they'll stop. Don't worry. I'll get them off our tail for sure. And even if I can't, they can't do anything once we reach the Kamisato estate."

"But we're quite far from there. Are you gonna carry me all the way?"

I nodded.

"But Sora-"

Arrows were shot again, and one grazed my hand as it flew by.

"Are you alright? Let me down and we can fight them. I do have a vision and-"