Chapter 26 | Snow

UNEDITED

It was after Ayato had created a large enough hole through the rocks that we were able to finally get out of there. Lu Wei was whining about how hungry he was, and it was getting dark soon.

"We should set up camp for tonight. It's getting late." Ayato said when we were finally outside.

"But we need to go after him. He can't get away."

"He won't. But going after him blindly now isn't to our advantage. We can use the fact that he thinks I'm dead against him." Ayato laughed like a kid about to get candy. "Besides, imagining the way his face would contort when he realises his plan didn't work would be exhilarating."

"A sight to see for sure."

Lu Wei backed away. "You guys are scary."

"You have a plan then, Commissioner?" I raised a brow at his amused face.

"Of course. And Lu Wei, you're going to help."

"Your time to shine," I hit him on the head, and he rubbed it.

"Stop hitting me. Of course I'll help." He folded his arms.

"Let's set camp then and talk over the plan. "

Lu Wei nodded. "I'll collect the firewood."

"I'll set up the tent," I offered since I did borrow them from the fatui that were sleeping.

"I'll cook, then."

I had more than my fair share with life threatening situations and threats with what I did for a job, but nothing sounded more threating than those words Ayato spoke. I froze in my tracks, and almost dropped the stick I was carrying to build the tent.

I prepared the tent, trying to gaslight myself into believing that one meal wouldn't make me want to die. I didn't know from where he found sunsettia and apples, but somehow he had. He also found a boar, which was now laying on a tree trunk. Ayato cut the meat first, then the apples and sunsettia. He put snow inside the pot, and boiled the ingredients while watching them with a satisfied grin.

"I wondered how ingredients from different regions would go together, so I'm glad we got this opportunity." The expression on his face reminded me of an alchemist I used to get poison from.

"I'm sure they compliment each other." Lu Wei, who didn't suspect his death said with mirth.

With that Ayato took out roasted lavender melons I remember Itto giving him, and put the entire fruits inside the pot. I watched as soup turned into the gooey purple colour like that of water in some regions of inazuma that continuously electrocuted you until you died. I had no doubt this had a similar effect.

"It's ready now," the commissioner called us to die.

He put the bowls of purple matter infront of us, and frowned.

"I almost forgot," he said, taking a crushed mint plant that looked like a boar had run over it. He put the leaves on top like a chef placing the final piece to compliment the dish.

"This certainly looks.. different." Lu Wei still didn't notice the poison.

"It was nice knowing you."

"What?" Ayato asked.

"I forgot to tell you. I'm actually fasting today. "

"Sora, you ate snow while I was making this."

"It's a snow included fast."

"Come on, eat."

"You eat first. If you empty the bowl we will too." The deal wasn't bad, and I didn't want to die from soup.

"Why are you dragging me into this?" Lu Wei asked, a hand on his chin.

"Shut up. You want to eat them?"

He shrugged. He should be thanking me for saving our lives.

But I had forgotten one thing. One vital piece of information. Kamisato Ayato had no tastebuds.

I could only watch in horror as he finished the bowl and put it Infront of us with a smile.

"Your turn."

To die?

After two empty bowls, Lu Wei and I were laying on the snow. It didn't look short of a crime scene. Which it was.

"I can't believe I survived an avalanche just to die by soup," he cried, holding onto his stomach.

"I would say you're being dramatic." I resisted the urge to vomit the rainbow of colours inside my mouth. "But you're right this time."

"Ah, I miss Thoma's cooking. Rice Balls, Egg rolls, Thoma's lunchboxes.." I looked up at the sky, which was adorned in countless twinkling lights. It reminded me of that night I got the vision. I was so alone then, but now I'm having adventures like this, with people by my side.

"Thomaaaa." I missed him. I missed inazuma. I had only spent couple of months there, but in such a short time, it had become a special place in my heart.

"It's not that bad," the murderer said. "I can make something else next time."

"I'd rather eat rice for the rest of my life all day every day," Lu Wei announced weakly.

"I'd rather get my arms chopped off and my nails peeled."

"You sure have an obscene way of describing things, Sora. Ah, right. I have something to tell you."

"Hm?"

He didn't answer, and started walking. I followed him, stumbling over Lu Wei who let out a cry.

He kept walking until we were far away from the tent. The commissioner finally came to a stop near a rockery surrounded by pine trees. Snow was falling heavier now, and the wind rapidly colder and harsher.

"What did you want to tell me?"

The snow fell onto his hair, the cold brightening the colour of his cheeks. With the black fur coat he was wearing, and his hair lose, he truly appeared to have emerged from a dream. He averted his gaze at the question, and my heart rate grew rapid.

What is he going to say?

I had just a glimmer of hope.

Coming all the way here..and that expression..does he like me?

Does he?

That would explain what happened back at the tavern, and why he keeps getting closer to me.

Maybe I was getting ahead of myself, but just once, just once, I wanted it to be true.

"Sora, I -"

"Yes?"

"I'm getting engaged."

Standing there under the falling snow, I became serenely aware of the cold.

**************

So this is going to be the final arc of this book.

After this, I was planning to write an R18 book since I haven't really tried that yet.

There's a rough outline for now, so I can adjust, but I wanted to ask which character you'd like for it to be about? It can be someone from genshin, or anime, or manga.

(No underage characters please)