Chapter 11

"Hayley?" Elijah asked on the phone, she sound of her voice made his blood pump faster in his veins

"Elijah, I-" she began but she paused for a moment "-I need to see you" her voice was quiet

"When?" Elijah replied as quick as he could

"Now?" Hayley asked "I think we need to talk; about... Us"

"Where?" Elijah asked again

"Is the Compound okay?" Obviously she was near someone because only a supernatural being would be able to hear her whisper

"That would be perfect" Elijah put the phone down and slid it into his pocket. A wave of guilt came over him; he was too happy when Hayley had called, wishing she would tell him she loved him. But part of his mind asked him about Clarissa? What should he do? Throw her to the side in order to make Hayley happy?

Maybe Clarissa needed her time, he argued with himself, before picking up and leaving for the compound.

-

Weeks went by and Clarissa hadn't heard anything from Elijah. She wanted to talk to him, but she was always so busy with managing the packs and ensuring their training is going well.

Elijah, on the other hand; had what he thought a much better deal going on with Hayley.

When he met her, she spoke about how much she wanted to be with him; but the pack was always in the way. Eventually they compromised and agreed that they would see each other in secrecy. Elijah wanted to show his prize to the world, but if her pack came first, then he would abide by her rules.

But one thing still stuck at the back of his mind...

Clarissa. He hadn't seen nor spoke to her since her brothers funeral, waves of guilt overwhelmed him from time to time. When he kissed her, it felt different to when he kissed Hayley. He could what Clarissa felt, her care, how she was falling. But when he kissed Hayley, he couldn't feel her at all.

Elijah felt sickly when he knew that he needed to check up on the wolves in the bayou to see their progress. He knew that sooner or later he would have to face Clarissa.

But he would only see her today, he will not tell her the truth. He didn't feel as if she was ready, plus she may not have even thought anything would be going on between them.

Elijah picked his jacket up and left for the bayou.

The wind swept leaves to the side and the trees swayed. The bayou was normally like this, but somehow it felt different.

"Oh look who's here" a wolf called out as Elijah set foot on the wolves territory "haven't seen you in a while" an odd sarcastic tone to his voice struck Elijah

"Have you seen..." Elijah began

"...Clarissa?" The wolf put down his weapon and stepped closer to Elijah so they were only centimetres apart "she hasn't come out of that cabin since the funeral, she told us to train, and disappeared into there" he explained "would have thought you'd come to check up, maybe help her out of her hole, you're a bit late"

Elijah was actually speechless, not only for the fact that this wolf actually thought he can talk to an original like that, but the fact that Clarissa hadn't come out, maybe she really needed him.

"She's still grieving" Elijah said, about to try to explain himself. But both of the wolves heard a creaking door, followed by the girl, dressed in a large grey cardigan, walking out.

She didn't see Elijah. She scanned the pack but not where Elijah stood. She looked a mess, a beautiful mess, he thought to himself. Her hair tied back into a long pony tale and her cardigan wrapped around her.

"Hey" he walked up to her. Clarissa's posture straightened at the sight of him

"Hey" she replied quickly. "I meant to visit..." She began as if it was her place to visit him and see if he was okay

"... No it's okay" Elijah smiled at her gesture. She didn't really need to visit him. "How're you holding up?"

"I'm barely scraping by" she said with a low voice. The sleeve of her cardigan rubbed her makeup less eyes.

"I'm sorry for not coming by" Elijah genuinely apologised. The sight of her in front of him only brought back feelings of love and even more guilt.

"It's fine" she smiled falsely "I'm not the best company"

Elijah stayed quiet

"The wolves..." She began but stopped "my wolves" Clarissa corrected herself "they've been good to me, I'm grateful for them"

He looked down. Unable to look her dead in the eyes, she looked broken. But he knew that her nature will only use this as an advantage to defeat her enemies.

"Clarissa, I ..." Elijah was about to tell her the truth, she deserved to know. He was ready to pour his heart out and break hers. But he was stopped. Clarissa's thin arms wrapped around the vampires shoulders as her head nuzzled into his neck.

"Thank you for coming today" she whispered in his ear, she placed a small peck on his cheek and released. "you've made facing my pack a whole lot easier"

The pack all stared at them speaking. Most of them in awe of their new alpha finally coming from her hiding to greet them.

Eventually conversation faded between the two. Elijah needed to meet Hayley in fifteen minutes, so he needed to go and get ready.

"I should go, Niklaus needs me to do something" Elijah used his brother as an excuse

"Okay" Clarissa smiled. She hugged him once more, but this time Elijah turned his head ever so slightly, forcing her forward to rest on his.

He felt her heart beat fasten ever so slightly and all of a sudden, he felt her pain, and how he soothed her grief.

Their noses touched. But Clarissa stayed still, she didn't know whether to move closer or not, would Elijah want her to move closer?

He made the first move. It was only millilitres, but it was Elijah who felt the urge to kiss her. But she enjoyed it just as much, it only confirmed what she was unsure on, Elijah felt the same for her.

Finally, the broke off and Elijah turned to meet Hayley, with a pain in his chest and an even more overwhelming feel of guilt.