Chapter 9

"Ouch" Clarissa moaned sleepily, as she lifted her torso up to see, a suited Elijah lay asleep next to her.

His tie was undone and he was still in the place she had remembered him to be. His arm placed neatly around her.

"Are you okay?" He sat up at the sound of her exclaim.

"Yeah, all that running" Clarissa rubbed her leg. She was still in the dress from last night, which was now cased in mud.

Elijah ran his fingers through his hair, he couldn't really believe he slept through the night. The bed was so uncomfortable, but having Clarissa's head on his chest felt somewhat normal.

Clarissa leant over Elijah to the desk. She basically lay on him as she checked her text messages. "Sorry" she said as she unlocked her phone. "Ezra text me a gazillion times last night"

She worked her fingers so she replied to his message 'wedding got cut short, but Boring, sorry for late reply, I'm ok, talk to you later xxxxxx'

"It's alright" Elijah said with ease.

Clarissa used her arms to try and get back to her usual but her arms collapsed, so her entire body lay on Elijah's.

"I'm so sorry" she said "I've never ran that fast in my life whilst on that really expensive champagne" she laughed, dropping her face on to his chest

Elijah lifted her head with two fingers under her chin. They both chuckled to each other. He didn't want to hesitate, the sooner they do this the better; Elijah was hurting.

He slowly leant down, feeling Clarissa's heart beat out of her chest. And he kissed her. Softly and gently, as if she was a porcelain doll ready to break.

He caressed her cheek whilst they kissed. It was long but they didn't realise how long.

Both of them cut off when they heard screaming in the distance. "what was that?" Clarissa stood up; putting jeans on under her dress and swapping it for a baggy green shirt.

"I don't know" Elijah focussed his hearing and heard a very familiar voice "it's Dahlia" he exclaimed

"Let's go" Clarissa went to run out of the door

"Not you" Elijah said, catching her in his arms "wait here"

"It's my territory" she growled and walked out, followed by Elijah "where are they?"

She was stubborn. He knew that she would get there one way or another; so it would be best to tell her "this way" Elijah walked forward into the trees.

"Ah, we have our guests of honour" Dahlia stood in full glory, circled by wolves, including Ezra.

"What?" Clarissa furrowed her brows and looked around

Dahlia gave a sly wink to the pair "I was right wasn't I?" She directed her attention to Elijah and then to Clarissa, who looked very confused

"You poor, sweet thing" she places two fingers under her chin and raised it up, Clarissa breathes heavily "you're little fling will end before it will begin" she told her. Sage burnt freely in the air, so when Dahlia leant down to whisper something into Clarissa's ear, Elijah couldn't hear.

"Get away from her" Ezra couldn't move, a spell had been cast to inhibit movement from the wolves around her. Preventing any inconvenient attacks.

"Are you going to kill me?" Clarissa stuttered. Her eyes burnt with tears but she didn't want to show any weakness

"Not you" dahlia stepped back to get a better view "but one of you" a sinister smile wiped across her face. "Let's call it, playing a pawn; the effects of it will ripple out"

Again. Dahlia turned to Elijah "I've kept my promise" she said before turning back to the crowd "now which one, which one"

"Please" Clarissa stepped forward to the witch, causing her to flinch backwards "don't kill any of them; I am more than willing to risk mine in order of my pack to live"

Dahlia raised her hand and cast a spell to keep Clarissa still. Dahlia twisted her raised hand which made Clarissa then her head to the wolves.

"Clarissa don't" Ezra cried out, frustrated that he couldn't move and his Amber eyes shining.

"Ah" Dahlia stepped forward "the caring brother, great alpha aren't you?" She began to laugh

"You dare touch him..." Clarissa tried to move forward, but couldn't. Elijah couldn't move either, Dahlia was powerful, too powerful for them.

"I don't think you know how I work" she shook her head "you begging not to touch him only makes me want to torture him in front of you" her finger dragged along Ezra's cheek and stopped at his neck "but unfortunately I don't have time"

Crack.

Clarissa screamed. The last living memory she had of Ezra was him silently nodding and sending her a mental message for her to look after the pack

Dahlia disappeared. Breaking the spell she had cast. Clarissa immediately dropped and scuttled to where her dead brother lay.

She slapped him across the face with one hand and slapped him back with the other, repeatedly. "No, wake up, wake up" she cried "you can't leave me, not now; this is not how it ends, this is not how you die" she rested her head on his chest and the wolves gathered around to mourn him.

"I'm gonna kill that bitch" she spat "she will suffer in ways that she can't even imagine"

Elijah fought his way to the front of the crowd. He placed a hand on her shoulder to let her know he was there.

Her head snapped up to him. Clarissa's eyes had turned red and mascara trailed faintly down her face. When she knew he was there, he knelt down and hugged her. She threw herself into the hug, sobbing loudly. "He's gone"

Elijah stroked the back of her head and they nuzzled their heads into each others necks, for comfort. "He's really gone" she sobbed