Chapter 2: Settlements ||| Perspective: Eri Laurchel

Building a bunch of bases was tiring and boring.

At least Eri only had to build a giant base that would be not only the main base of operations, but also the place he'd be conducting his studies and also staying. He could be staying on this planet for the rest of his life, after all. He might be able to leave if all research that was needed was done, but most likely this would be the place he'd be staying at for the rest of his life.

The main base of operations' name was Operation Alpha, which did make a little sense. The base was the main base, so the alpha part of the name made a little sense. And the operation part also made sense since it was the main base of operations.

The base had a large main area full of tech that was recently built, which was for scientists like Eri. Then there were also the sleeping quarters for everyone to sleep in. There were ten rooms, which was the exact number of dragons that would be at Operation Alpha. Eri was one of them, so was Recil and also Jafer, the dragon Recil had mentioned on the flight over. There were others too, but Eri didn't remember their names already. The other part of the base, and the only part that was permitted an observatory, was for the main manager of the crater. Infact, Operation Alpha was the only base that was allowed to have an observatory. Observatories were apparently meant for the "best of the best," and the main manager apparently was permitted to have an observatory. No one would be allowed into the observatory unless permitted, which as far as Eri was guessing, no one would be permitted. There was a desk visible in the observatory along with a chair that looked very comfortable, but that was it.

Eri still wasn't sure who the main manager was, not even the second-in-command Jennie. It was a little strange that no one knew who the main manager was or what his name was. And it seemed very strange and suspicious that his name would never be mentioned. All that everyone knew was that the main manager was male, and that was all. It was still undetermined by everyone else that the main manager was the survivor of the Aurora's crash, but it was still a theory he was.

There were also a bunch of things going around too about a dark blue, busted Seamoth going around the entire crater. And a lot of dragons were saying that it would stop in front of the bases as they were being built, and some even said there was a dark, ridged figure in the Seamoth. Dragons who had seen the Seamoth said that it almost blended into the water, and it never had lights or anything on. Eri knew Recil had seen it, but Eri still hadn't yet. Recil had said that the Seamoth looked like it was investigating the bases before taking off and disappearing. Recil had also said that the Seamoth was in terrible condition, and he had said it surprised him how it was even working properly. Recil was pretty much a dragon who was into tech and machinery, so Eri knew Recil analyzed the Seamoth the moment he saw it.

Eri knew the strange Seamoth had gone to every other base in the crater, but it still hadn't stopped by Operation Alpha. Eri also knew that the only way Recil had seen the Seamoth was when he was helping out at another base, and the Seamoth had stopped by that base.

Eri was in the main area of Operation Alpha, where all the new tech and small offices were. He was sitting at his desk, and everyone who was at Operation Alpha was assigned a random desk. His was close to the door that led to the large line of moonpools, and if Eri counted correctly, there were ten moonpools. Eri was bored, but maybe tomorrow would be better since they would start their research, and also meet the main manager. Well, only Operation Alpha would, but he might visit the other bases "if he had time," according to Jennie.

"Hey, Eri!" A familiar voice said.

Eri whipped his head around, his wings spreading out as he did so. Then he looked at the bulkhead that led to the moonpools and saw Recil. "Recil? What are you doing?" Eri asked.

"Coming back from checking out the manager's room." Recil said.

Eri stared at Recil. "I thought nobody was allowed in there!"

Recil shrugged. "No one's here to stop me, besides, the signs say something interesting."

"What do the signs say?" Eri asked.

"Come check it out for yourself if you're so interested!" Recil said, gesturing to Eri to come over to him.

Eri got out of his chair he was sitting in, stretched, and walked over to Recil.

"Is it down that hallway?" Eri asked.

"Yea, it is." Recil said as he stepped forward.

"If I do get in trouble for going to a restricted area, it will be your fault." Eri said to Recil.

Recil laughed hysterically. "Like I said, no one is here to stop me or you."

"You never know." Eri said.

Recil didn't say anything.

Eri followed Recil as they walked through the corridors. Eri glanced from side to side as the corridors were completely glass. Eri looked up and saw the main manager's office towering above the corridors and the other rooms.

Almost every roof or wall was glass so the main manager could look over the base from his observatory. It seemed creepy to Eri, because a dragon just watching your every move until you had his permission to run into the safety of the sleeping quarters sounded like it was from a sort of horror film. And not knowing who the manager was made it more horrifying.

Eri tried to shake off his fears as he followed Recil. He'd be safe here, right? Recil stopped in front of a bulkhead that had signs on the walls near it.

"You should read these interesting signs. They're saying a lot about who our main manager is." Recil said.

Eri looked at the empty, wordless sign. "One of the signs has nothing on it." Eri said.

"It'll say the manager's name on it once we meet him and know his name." Recil explained. "Just read the other signs."

Eri put a talon on the wall near the digital signs and read them. MAIN MANAGER'S OFFICE IS BEYOND THIS BULKHEAD. ONLY ENTER WITH PERMISSION. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU HAVE INTENTIONS OF IRRITATING OR INFURIATING THE MANAGER. MAIN MANAGER'S NAME WILL BE LISTED HERE WHEN HE SAYS SO.

"What are you even saying about the signs?" Eri asked.

"They say something about our main manager, and it sounds important. To me it keeps saying: 'Don't anger him or you'll never come back!'" Recil said.

Eri snorted and he saw Recil smiling.

"Isn't that what everyone's saying about him?" Eri asked.

"Kind of." Recil said.

"Do you want to go back?" Eri asked.

"Sure."