Cursed (Grumbo)

Grian's POV

I've been working the night shift at the museum for years now. My boss, Pix, always liked to tell me stories about when he first started here. Like, one time, he told me a story about a figure that appeared right above an old amulet that was thought to have belonged to an ancient being. Or the one about the empty mummy tomb. Pix loved telling stories, which is why he entered this business. Me, on the other hand, I was here for the fun of it.

As I'm putting my outfit on, I hear a soft tink noise come from outside the door to the staff room. I finish getting ready before walking out, only to find an old vase tipped over. I let out a soft sigh and gently put it back up.

"Stupid rats." I grumble before taking my flashlight out and shining it around.

The rats weren't a problem during the day. Most were afraid of all the noise anyway, and they left the exhibits alone so we never tried to get rid of them. Plus, Pix always said that they added to the charm of the place.

I hum a soft tune as I wander the halls. As I'm exploring, I hear a soft whoosh from behind me. I quickly turn, shining the flashlight in the direction of the noise. Nothing.

"Would you guys stop scaring me!?" I liked to think I was on good terms with the rats.

Friends? No, more like we understand each other. We know not to cross each other. I huff and continue walking, entering the relic area of the museum. In here, we keep small trinkets, amulets, drawings, ect. I carefully inspect each display case, making sure all is in order.

I stop when I notice something is missing. The amulet that Pix said the figure appeared next to, was missing.

"What on earth...?" I take my keys out and open the case, checking to see if there was any evidence of it being stolen.

Another whoosh sounds behind me. I quickly turn, this time, I catch a glimpse of a tail. It was narrow with a triangle at the end, similar to how demons are described. I growl under my breath, knowing it was probably some prankster.

"Go home kid! The museum is closed!" I held my flashlight in the direction of where the person was hiding.

They hid behind a statue that we kept in the trinket room due to it being popular with another thing we keep in here. After a few seconds I get bored and start making my way over to the statue.

"Fun times ov-" I freeze when I see no one there, "er? What..?" I shake my head and quickly scan the room with the bright light in my hands.

Nothing. I let out a shaky breath before marching back over to where the amulet was meant to be. After closer examination, I realized that it definitely wasn't stolen. Nothing was broken nor was there any evidence of someone touching the surrounding things. This was bizarre to say the least. Normally nights go by pretty smoothly. Why was tonight different?

Pix must have taken the amulet to polish it. Leaving that as my conclusion, I continued to walk around the building. A few more things needed correcting, but other than that, everything seemed to be in order. Right before I was going to clock out, I heard a loud crash come from a nearby room. I rush over there, flashlight and taser in my hands.

When I get there, I freeze. Leaning against a display case, panting, was a man. No, a demon. He had slicked back black hair that had two red horns poking out, a long, narrow, black tail with a triangle capping it off. His suit ripped in multiple spots along with his pants. He had a very fluffy mustache that covered his top lip.

Eventually, he looks at me, his red eyes lock onto me as I drop the flashlight and taser. I darted for the exit. As I neared it, the demon appeared in front of me. I halt and stare at him, panting. He was panting too. His eyes showed pain and fear. After realizing this, I looked him up and down, the missing amulet hung loosely around his neck and blood trickled down his face.

"I...do...do you need help...?" I swallowed my fear, trying to increase my chances of getting out of here alive.

He nods. I look around and start walking towards the staff room. I turn to see if he was following, which he wasn't, so I wave my hand at him, making him slowly walk up to me. We enter the large room, I signal for him to take a seat at the large meeting table to which he does.

"I'll find you some bandaids and get you patched up, then you owe me an explanation." I hum at him as I search a drawer for said medical supplies.

Once finding them, I took a seat next to the demon and got to work. I gently cleaned up the small cuts that marked his arms and face. He flinched every once and a while but seemed fairly relaxed for most of it.

"So...what's your name?" I question as I wrap a bandage around his arm.

"Mumbo." His voice was soft and smooth.

"Well, Mumbo, my name is Grian. What are you?" I look up and gently place the last few bandaids on his face.

"I'm a demon. This is my amulet." He said plainly.

I nod, "Why are you here?"

"I'm always here, you just suck at your job." He chuckled, making me scoff.

"I'm great at my job, thank you." I pout slightly before sitting back in my chair, "What happened to you?"

He looked at a vase that we kept in here for safe keeping, "I broke a vase. As much as I love being in the human world, it takes a lot of energy, so I tripped over myself and broke a vase."

I let out a hum, acknowledging what Mumbo was saying, "How come I haven't seen you before?"

"Like I said, you suck at your job." I roll my eyes at that, making him shrug, "I normally hid from you. Pix made a deal with me and I couldn't risk breaking it."

"A deal?" I tilt my head, cocking an eyebrow at what the other male said.

He nodded, "When Pix first learned I still possessed my amulet, he told me it only come out or make my presence known if it was just him in the building."

I narrow my eyes, "Why'd you break it now?"

"You ask a lot of questions." He laughed, "I trusted you. Plus, I'd have to wait another day to get these taken care of." He gestured to his wrapped arms.

I bite my lip, taking in everything he's said. It made sense for Pix to wanna hide him, but from me out of all people? He knew I loved paranormal stuff, so why did he hide Mumbo? Maybe there's more to this story than the demon is letting on.

"I understand....but I also don't. Pix knows I love paranormal stuff, so it doesn't make sense for him to hide you. What aren't you telling me?" I look into his eyes, my dark ones meeting his crimson ones.

He smirks and leans in, getting close to my face. I blush, feeling his breath on my own lips.

"You'll see~"

And with that, he was gone. I blink, still frozen in my spot. Did a demon just flirt with me!?