Chapter 17

My eyes fluttered open and I gasped for air. I see the stars above me and I feel the grass between my fingertips. I'm freezing cold.

Pan suddenly kneels down next to me and takes my face in his hands.

"You're okay. It's okay." He says quickly.

I try and catch myself and speak, "what happened?"

"I was trying to tell you that you were going to fall, but you kept walking backwards. You slipped back and fell deep into the water. Luckily, I'm used to the harsh waves of the island and I dove in after you. Then I brought you back here and tried to save you. "

"Oh, um." I have to stop myself and think. That was really nice of him. Why did he do it? "Thanks, Pan. You saved my life. "

"It's no problem, really. " He gives me a genuine smile.

"Why didn't you just let me die?"

"How could I do that?"

I sigh. "Wouldn't it have been better for the island? I mean everything could go back to normal and there would be no problems."

He looks at me very sadly. "Aria, you're too valuable here. If you left now, it would only make things worse."

At that moment, I reach and wrap my arms around Pan's neck. He complies and pulls my waist with his arms. We're both soaking wet, but it doesn't matter.

Boom.

I pull away and smile, "and there's number four! I hate this island." I laugh.

"It'll grow on you. " He stands up and reaches his arm out for me. I take his hand and he helps me up before we begin our way back to camp.

"Aria, I don't want to be a hard ass right now, but you need to start following my rules." Pan states shyly.

I look down, "I know, I'm sorry. "

"It's okay. I just don't want the boys to think I'm favoring you."

I nod my head. "Don't worry, I get it. "

He turns his head to smile at me. And return the gesture.

"Are you sure you're okay? I mean, you've had a very eventful night."

"I'll be fine," I smirk. "I'm getting used to it now. " I chuckle.

After our trek through the jungle-like forest, we finally make it to the clearing. Pan walks me to the door of my hut and all of a sudden I feel like I'm living a movie.

"Pan, I just want to thank you again for saving me."

"Of course, lets just hope it doesn't happen again." We both laugh lightly before I bid him goodbye and enter my hut.

I change out of soaking clothes and place on some dry ones. I lay down on my bed and actually have to think about, well everything.

Why in the hell, did Pan flash before my eyes?

Does this mean I love him? No that's impossible. I can't. I won't. Oh my god.

I try and clear my eyes and sleep, but I can't when green ones are all I see.

I wake up, extremely fatigue. It takes me a few minutes to actually get out of bed. When I do, I quickly make my way outside.

The boys are already sitting in the circle, smiling at me.

Why am I always the last one out?

I sit down next to John and smile back to the boys.

"So how was your night?" Travis asks.

My eyes go wide. Oh my gosh, they know! But how?

Travis then continues, "I mean, we all heard your clock in the middle of the night. I'm sure you didn't sleep much."

I relax. All is well. "I'm fine. It's all good." I smile.

They smile back at me and continue with their own conversations. I pick at my nails unsure what to do or say. Then, out steps Pan. I can't take my eyes off of him. He so captivating. I mean, he's wearing pretty much the same thing he wears everyday, his hairs the same, the nothing different, but I'm stunned.

Shit.

"Hello everyone!" He walks to the fire circle with a smile. Wow, he's actually happy.

"We are going to have a training day today, so follow me."

We all rise from our seats and begin walking into the forest begins Pan. John walks with me and we make small talk.

"So you're really not nervous at all?" I don't have to ask him to know what he's talking about.

"No, I try not to think about it."

I notice Pan, who's standing in front of us, listening in on our conversation.

John turns his head to smirk at me, "you really are strong."

I shrug my shoulders. "I try," I say jokingly. "But I mean, if I don't die, it might be nice to get of island."

"Well I hope you don't. I don't know what would happen without you."

I chuckle before I hear John's name being called by the boys in the back.

He holds up his index finger, "I'll be back in a sec."

I smile and shake my head as he walks away and towards the other boys. Once he's gone, I skip my way up to Pan.

"You know it's rude to eavesdrop." I nudge his arm and he gets that I'm joking.

"Sorry, it's just, you've got quite an interesting life." We both laugh.

"Yeah, sure."

He looks at me with a smile, before it fades and I'm left confused.

"Aria," Pan starts reluctantly. "Why don't you want to be here anymore?"

I look away and try to think of the best possible answer.

"It's hard to stay here, knowing I still have something else. A family, a home, a different life. It's hard to be here knowing that I have to leave. With that constant fear. I guess that's why. "

Pan nods his head, "I understand. When I first got here, I wasn't happy, but for some people this place becomes like home. For some people this is home. And then for others, they just don't belong."

I look to him and nod. "But that doesn't mean we don't want you here. I'm pretty sure we need you. " Pan assures me.

"Thanks. That's nice to know." I chuckle. He shrugs his shoulders and we arrive at our training destination of the day.

I can tell from our conversation, that things are going to get a lot better for me here.

And now, I don't want to leave.