Don't Look

"You've looked into the mirror before?" Joplin asked

"You've looked into the mirror before?" Joplin asked. Grace just stared at George slightly annoyed.

Well, I mean I guess if anyone's going to look into the mirror it's gonna be me.

"Briefly, I didn't stare into it for more than like ten seconds," Grace reasoned. Joplin was too busy securing the bone glass on the top of a stand, which was to Grace's eye level.

"Why exactly is Bickerstaff down here?" George asked. He was fighting between his obsession with finding out what the mirror held and the nauseating feeling burning inside him.

"We could hardly do it without him, could we? this is all because of him. He deserves a front-row seat. But don't worry, he's quite safe behind the chains." Joplin smiled as she placed the bone glass on the stand. It still held the iron net over the surface.

"Front row seat to what? You must tell me what you've discovered, what the methodology is." George explained. Grace watched as he wrung out his hands also keeping his distance from Joplin.

For George being so smart. I would have thought this setup would have given it away.

"How are we going to look at it safely?" George moved closer to Grace giving her a thin smile. Grace wasn't worried at the moment since she wasn't tied up like Kipps, who was sitting against the far wall.

"In those papers, whenever he mentions followers, he's always talking about adults. He didn't know that it's young people who have the ability to see beyond. He was too far ahead of his time. Missing the vital key." Joplin preached. George looked at Grace. He had known that she was going to be glancing into the mirror for information, but she had done it once before and she was fine. So, George thought that maybe it wouldn't affect her. "It'll be the most wonderful thing, George. You said you wanted to see more." Joplin stepped forward, but Grace pulled George behind her slightly.

This woman is disgusting. The way she talks to George makes me want to vomit.

"I wanted to know yeah, but I don't want Grace to stare directly into it. Mary Dulac did, and she went insane," George reasoned. "I thought maybe we could just have her glance into it or I don't know," He couldn't even convince himself any more of what he believed.

"You're missing the point quite spectacularly. All our lives we've been buried in books. We live in our minds. And here at last is something that will tell us everything we ever wanted to know," Joplin moved closer to George. "Make us feel everything. You and me, with her as our conduit. It's perfect."

"So, if I lose my mind when looking into the bone glass, will you just use other people as your test subjects since you know everyone who looks into it will lose their minds?" Grace asked. Her grip on George's arm tightened. He wasn't the easiest to manipulate, but with everything that's been happening and his obsession he was in a vulnerable state.