𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲

"𝗜𝘁'𝘀 𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗺𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗴𝗼 𝗼𝗻"
-𝗔𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿 𝗨𝗻𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗻

-----

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲 - 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗱𝗯𝘆𝗲 𝗟𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿

It's been two months now since Valentina had broke down in Aaron's arms and only four months until James and everyone else gets back from tour. The Bau were in between cases and hadn't been assigned a new one yet so Val decided to catch up on some well needed rest. But the nightmares had different ideas.

"Enemies sighted at 12 0'clock, I repeat enemies sighted at 12 o'clock" Valentina heard Private Miles Pearce voice over the comms.

"Roger that, Pearce. Engage at will!" Val shouted over the gunfire as she moved closer to the target building while firing at whoever she could.

"Has anyone got eyes on Malik?" Val asked as she went behind a concrete post, her grip on her gun tightening.

"Not seen"

"Not seen, boss"

A few moments later, and Miles spoke again "All call signs, second floor clear"

Valentina fired a few more rounds before going back behind the concrete post when Pearce said "Suspected IED on rooftop" And that got her attention.

"Pearce get out of there-" But the woman didn't get to finish her sentence when the sound of a phone beeped "GET DOWN!" She shouted at her team just as an explosion went off.

High pitched ringing was all Valentina could hear in her ears as she clumsy stood up and ran as fast as she could to where Miles was "Miles! Miles!" She dropped down to her knees beside her friend.

"Wood, enter through left of courtyard! Lopez, front entrance!" Owen Ramirez shouted while the rest of the team stood around Valentina and Miles, their guns drawn and ready for any threat.

They watched in horror as Valentina started cpr on the fallen soldier "Come on Miles, come on!" She cried, giving him two breaths before going back to chest compressions "Don't you fucking die on me!" He had a family to go home to, a loving girlfriend and a baby on the way. It wasn't fair. Life wasn't fair.

A piercing scream left Valentina's mouth as she sat up in a frenzy, all the blood rushed back to her brain making her realise it was all just a nightmare and she wasn't back in Afghanistan.

"Your okay, your okay" She whispered, climbing out of bed and going to the kitchen to make herself a pot of coffee because she knew she wasn't going back to sleep anytime soon.

Pouring her coffee into her favourite mug when she jumped from her phone ringing causing her to spill the hot brew on her hand "Son of a bitch" Valentina mumbled, going to grab her phone before running her hand under the cold tap.

"Agent Ortiz" She greeted.

"Hey Val it's me" Ophelia Adam's broken voice spoke through the phone and that's all it took for Valentina's life to change forever.