Being Told Off

"You know what? I'm sick of you two fighting over some karate tournament, as well as your mistakes from, what, thirty-four years ago, back when you were teenagers? Get over it." Abigail Alexopoulos shook her head. "The nerve. At some point, you're going to have to take responsibility for your own actions. Sometimes I wonder if you'll ever accept your mistakes, or just try and pin them off on each other like you usually do."

Daniel and Johnny wanted to interrupt, but they had the feeling they'd been doing enough of that with each other lately. So they kept silent and decided to let Demetri's younger sister continue, because somehow their hunch was telling them what she had to say sounded quite important in this case.

Boy, were they right.

She narrowed her eyes. "How dare you — both of you, standing around, letting your high school karate rivalry get in the way of these students' lives? They are not prizes to be won!"

Pausing for a moment, she then cocked a hand on her hip. "They may not have gotten what they wanted, but they have what they need. They have love. They've never lost sight of what's really important. And neither will I!"

Daniel and Johnny just stood where they were while completely still, eyes wide in shock and unable to think of anything to say in reply. Never had someone called them out with such passion. Deep down, they felt they needed it; someone had to talk some much-needed sense into the both of them, after all.

It was then they started to realize she was right when they looked over to see Hawk, Demetri, Nate, Bert, Sam, Robby, Miguel, Tory, Chris, Mitch and the other Miyagi-Fangs standing a few feet away, listening in the whole time. Hawk, Demetri and the others were surprised by Abby's boldness, while also a tiny bit pleased with it, too.

Daniel and Johnny exchanged glances. Maybe she's right. Maybe we are setting a bad example for these kids, and we didn't know it until someone courageously called us out on it (which we both deservedly needed in a sense).