19. In My Time of Dying

Start from the beginning

"Come on, Sam," Dean spoke. "Go find some hoodoo priest to lay some mojo on me. Sam?"

Sam walked away.

Dean turned to Laurey. "I'm gonna wake up, Laur, I promise."

Laurey stroked Dean's cheek. "I can't see the future, Dee. I just have to hope you'll be okay. I can't... I can't lose my best friend."

---

In his room, John was lying in a hospital bed, his arm in a sling. Awkwardly, one-handed, he pulled something from his wallet. "Here. Give them my insurance."

Sam took the card John gave him, smiling a little as he read it. "Elroy McGillicutty?"

"And his two loving sons and best friend's daughter and her son. So, what else did the doctor say about Dean?"

"Nothing. Look. The doctors won't do anything, then we'll have to, that's all. I don't know, I'll find some hoodoo priest to lay some mojo on him."

"We'll look for someone."

"Yeah."

"But Sam, I don't know if we're gonna find anyone."

"Why not? I found that faith healer before."

"Right, that was, that was one in a million."

"So what? Do we just sit here with our thumbs up our ass?"

"No, I said we'd look. All right? I'll check under every stone." He paused a moment. "Where's the Colt?"

"Your son is dying and you're worried about the Colt?"

"We're hunting this demon, and maybe it's hunting us too. That gun may be our only card."

"It's in the trunk. They dragged the car to a yard off of I-83."

"All right. You've gotta clean out that trunk before some junk man sees what's inside."

"I already called Bobby. He's like an hour out, he's gonna tow the Impala back to his place."

"All right. You, you go meet up with Bobby, you get that Colt, and you bring it back to me. And you watch out for hospital security."

"I think I've got it covered." He got up to leave.

John stopped him, picking up a sheet of paper. "Hey. Here. I made a list of things I need, have Bobby pick them up for me."

Sam read the list. "Acacia? Oil of Abramelin? What's this stuff for?"

"Protection."

"Hey, Dad? You know, the demon, said he had plans for me, and children like me. Do you have any idea what he meant by that?"

"No, I don't."

Sam left, shutting the door to reveal Dean, who had been leaning behind it.

"Well, you sure know something," Dean muttered.

---

Sam made his way to the junkyard and looked down at the mangled car. Bobby was there as well.

"Oh, man, Dean is gonna be pissed," Sam said.

Bobby looked at him. "Look, Sam. This... this just ain't worth a tow. I say we empty the trunk, sell the rest for scrap."

"No. Dean would kill me if we did that. When he get better, he's gonna want to fix this."

"There's nothing to fix. The frame's basically a pretzel, the engine's completely ruined. There's barely any parts worth saving."

"Listen to me, Bobby. If there's only one working part, that's enough. We're not just going to give up on..."