October 30, 2005

For days, Laurey had seen one particular death. And she'd tried everything in her power to prevent it.

She should have realized that was her first mistake.

A sudden noise from downstairs woke her up. She grabbed her knife and placed a hand on her stomach to attempt protection and slowly and emerged from the bedroom she shared with her husband and began descending the stairs as quietly as she could.

She watched as her husband's neck was snapped and she immediately spoke a Latin exorcism.

The black smoke poured out of the host's body and disappeared. The man collapsed to the floor, dead.

Laurey immediately ran up to her husband's body and laid her head on his chest as she cried.

She called a number and grumbled, getting a voicemail telling her to call another number.

She dialed the number given and a man answered.

"Hello?"

"Is this Dean Winchester?"

"Yeah, who's askin'?"

"I don't know if I should tell you my name. I'm in St. George, Utah, and my husband was killed by a demon."

"You're sure?"

"Unless black eyes are suddenly in style, yes. I'm a hunter, Dean. I know demons when I see them."

"All right, well, I'll head up to you and we'll figure this out."

Dean must have driven all night, because he was at her front door the next morning.

She opened it and he was taken aback. "Laurey Davis?"

"Hi, Dean. It's Brooks now."

"What's it been? Ten years?"

"Grow a pair, Dean. David just died. I need you to help me bury him."

"Yeah. You want to give him a hunter's funeral?"

She slowly shook her head and Dean nodded.

They buried David and the body of the man in the holes Dean had dug and covered them up.

"I want to come with you," Laurey said.

"Don't you have a life here?"

"Not anymore." She was silent a moment. "I'm going to name my son after his father."

"You're pregnant?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes. You're clearly oblivious enough."

"To my defense, we were busy with your husband's funeral."

"Fair. Let me get some things together."

"I'll help. If you'd like."

"I'd appreciate it."

The two of them packed a duffel bag and grabbed some things Laurey thought she'd need and put everything in the Impala.

"Where to?" Laurey asked.

"Palo Alto."

"California? Stanford? Why?"

"I need my brother's help."

"With?"

"I'll explain everything later. Right now, we have an almost 11 hour drive. Get some rest, okay? I'll keep the radio on low."

She nodded and for the first time seemed to realize how exhausted she truly was. Her eyes closed and her breaths evened. Her head was against the window and one hand rested on her abdomen.

Dean glanced at her with a small smile. He didn't think he'd see her again, and here she was calling for his help. Laurey Brooks was back in his life and he didn't want to let her go again.