nine: everyone, but you

"But loving him was red"
___________________

4.5 YEARS AGO . . .

Valentine's POV:

The saying, 'time flies when you're having fun', was enough to describe our friendship.

Heeseung and I.

It's been half a year since we met each other and during my time with him, there was never a dull day. Sure, the wish to never feel sad was highly unlikely but just the sight of him was enough to cheer me up.

Sort of a happy (contaminating) virus.

The more we hung out together, the more we learnt about each other.

Even if it was only one hour a day.

We never hung out together elsewhere other than in the garden.

As if once we step out of the boundaries, we are back to being strangers again. A secret friendship bounded by the garden.

However, it was partially my idea.

He suggested we talked during class or whatnot, and even invited me to join his friend group. But who am i to say yes?

At the end of the day, i was still me.

The soft-spoken girl who feels anxious whenever attention was laid on me.

Thus, our friendship was strictly exclusive only to the garden itself. Another reason why it's my comfort place.

The biggest thing I've learnt was that Heeseung is a player. No doubt his looks and charms gives him the potential, but his dating game was insane.

There was one week when i caught him dating 3 girls in a week.

Disclaimer, Heeseung's a player, not a cheater.

It happened in a span of a week where one of the relationships only lasted half a day because he had changed his mind.

He was constantly bailing on girls and finding an excuse to end relationships. Maybe because the 'relationship' was not serious, to begin with, but ending it usually results in the girl crying and eventually getting over it. Sometimes, they would find the opportunity to befriend him again.

The grip he has on them.

He was fully aware of his flirtatious nature and despite the misleading idea, he continues to make them fall into deep.

As if he enjoyed being admired and worshipped.

He also gets away with things easily through his sweet talks which were highly effective. In fact, effective enough to gaslight his exes into thinking they were only made to be friends and not because he lost interest.

Perhaps he has commitment issues.

In conclusion, he is a whole red flag.

"Did you bail on your girlfriend again?" I raised my eyebrows at him in a judgmental nature. Though I was not in the position to speak, it was the least I could do.

"No? I don't have a girlfriend right now." He turned to me with a quizzical expression.

"Huh? What about Jia?"

"Jia's not my girlfriend. She just asked if I wanted to go on a date with her." His features softened upon clearing up the misunderstanding.

"So...what are you doing here right now?"

"Uh...talking to you?"

"No. Shouldn't you be making your way to your date?"

"I never agreed."

He got me there.

There was no point in defending when all I was going to do was run in circles.

"Why? You want me to go so bad?" He asked this time, slightly serious.

"Um, that's up to you."

I lied.

I did in fact, not want him to go.

If he went, then I would've been alone.

I don't like being alone.

"So...?" He expected to say more.

"I don't know. I'm just thinking about how I would feel if I was in their position." I stared into the clouds as they moved in gradual motion.

"You don't need to think about that."

"Like imagine if-" but I was interrupted with a pat on my shoulder.

"Because it would never happen."

Ouch.

I should've saw that coming.

We were just friends after all.

So why was i expecting more?

"Oh right." I dryly laughed, embarrassed for interfering too much.

"Those girls are different to you. They saw it coming and will get over it easily." He sighed, removing his hand.

"Oh." was all I could say.

Sometimes, i dream too much.

"Sweetheart, I would never want to hurt you." He spoke with full sincerity.

He said it with such a warm gaze that I wondered if I was his only exception.

Maybe that's too far.

×××

Valentine is the only person Heeseung speaks to whom he means every word.

She was in fact, his only exception.

06/04/2023
♡ sleepy... but today (in 5hrs) is last day of school!! thank goodness, i didn't know how i was going to survive another day.

- [ luna ]