Chapter 23: To What Extent

In the wake of their encounter in Alaska, Kingdom has concurred to dispatch the remaining Omega agents - or what's left of them - back to their world, along with the ghastly remains of their ill-fated colleagues. The rendezvous of the two groups, shrouded in secrecy, is imminent.
------
Not a syllable escaped Ranesk as he arrived at the Headquarters. Stepping down from the aircraft, his chainsword dripped blood, and the crimson stains upon his ashen armor were fresh.

As he set foot upon the island's soil, the profound stillness emanating from within immediately caught his attention. Ordinarily, the agents would be engaged in some form of recreation, playing games or viewing films, yet no sound could be heard.
Upon entering the structure, Ranesk took stock of his surroundings, but no agents were present.

The space where they usually convened to relax was entirely abandoned. Most intriguingly, he observed that the mechanized portal leading to his quarters had been battered at the threshold.
Tyberos had left, perhaps?

"The briefing room," Kay/o, the Vulture's pilot, directed Ranesk with a curt remark. "They watched your... mission from beginning to end." Ranesk pivoted to the Abominable Intelligence and scrutinized him as he spoke, then nodded in reply. Without another word, he strode toward the briefing room.

The doors parted automatically with a hiss of mechanics. As he entered, Ranesk noted the agents within had their heads lowered, too fearful and distraught to meet his gaze.

They had borne witness to the savage demise of their counterparts, their screams still resounding within their ears, and the blood and gore replaying repeatedly in their minds.
Tyberos, however, remained motionless in the same spot he had occupied since his arrival in the briefing room.

Slowly, he turned to face Ranesk, shifting the bulk of his Terminator armor with a faint whir. His helm dipped downward, and his gaze pierced through Ranesk, causing Ranesk to experience a sense of unease.

"A pity they wilted so easily. It could have been an entertaining spectacle." Tyberos muttered.

Brimstone regarded Tyberos with disapproval, yet wisely refrained from antagonizing him given the shade lord's imposing stature.

"Where are they?" Brimstone asked, his voice strained and fatigued after witnessing Ranesk's brutal performance on the monitor.

"On the island. Kingdom has provided them with assistance, and as you instructed, they will be returned," Ranesk responded bluntly. Brimstone and his cohorts collectively breathed a sigh of relief.

They had come to terms with the fact that the man before them had just savagely mutilated their doppelgangers. Despite being adversaries, they maintained a modicum of respect for one another, at least among most of the agents.

Ranesk stood motionless for a moment, his eyes flicking up to Tyberos before settling back on the agents.

With a faint hiss, he removed his helmet, inhaling shallowly. Though his eye still throbbed with pain, he had been tended to by Kingdom medical personnel as best they could.
The agents were all too aware of what had befallen Ranesk during the operation.

The live footage of his mission had elicited cringes from some of them, as they witnessed the ghastly sound of the knife plunging into his eye.

Sensing their concern, Sage inquired, "Ranesk... is your eye...?"

"It is not fine," Ranesk replied bluntly, not waiting for her to complete the question. "And I assume you possess the powers necessary to heal it."

Sage's eyes widened ever so slightly before softening into a kind smile. "Indeed, I do," she replied in a gentle voice that reminded Ranesk of the way the Orders Hospitaller spoke. "Come closer and kneel, you are too tall," she added with a chuckle.